Jointing compound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To date, I've used PTFE when repairing leaking compression joints. I usually unscrew, wire wool to clean them, apply PTFE and tighten back up.

A video from 2013 on YT suggests Fernox jointing compound is a far better than PTFE. I presume the white compound is the one to get?

Sponsored Links
Water Hawk is the one to get out of those two. Hawk White is not approved for use on mains water pipes, Water Hawk can be used on everything.

Having said that, I much prefer Jet Blue

Sponsored Links
I'm a recent convert to the "one wrap round the olive" school of thought, and this after years of lashing multiple turns of PTFE on compression threads and wondering why they still leaked.

During my recent tribulations with a kitchen radiator the one wrap worked every time, though of course I wasn't working with mains pressure.

Yup, it's my rule of thumb any time I'm remaking an old joint with the same components, a wrap of gas tape on the olive avoids any call backs.

Lol! Always remember that a cold joint may not weep, when tested. But later on, when you've left, and hot water runs through it........ :eek::mad:

I did a load of compression joints in our house 10 years ago and never had an issue with leaks.

Did a few last year with new fittings and had a real job to get them water tight.

Looking at some old copper pipe I had spare it was significantly thicker than the newly bough stuff.

So because gas PTFE is thicker, it does a better job on compression joints, why bother with water PTFE?

The Fernox White Hawk compound is not suitable for drinking water pipes or portable water as its called which seems a peculiar term. Presumably because you fill your water bottle from the kitchen tap?

How does the Water Hawk compound, used for drinking water pipes, differ to White Hawk which, the comments on Screwfix/Toolstation say, is used regardless?

So because gas PTFE is thicker, it does a better job on compression joints, why bother with water PTFE?
It does exactly the same job, you just have to use less. I can't be bothered wrapping rad tails and tap etc with 20 odd wraps so I just use 6 turns of gas tape. I have it in stock anyway so pointless buying both.

It does exactly the same job, you just have to use less. I can't be bothered wrapping rad tails and tap etc with 20 odd wraps so I just use 6 turns of gas tape. I have it in stock anyway so pointless buying both.

Why do you use tape rather than compound? ......... just curious!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back