Joist repair after chimney removal...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Background: We are removing the chimney from the middle of our Victorian house from roof level all the way down to ground floor. In doing this we have opened the bathroom and a small bedroom, to make a bigger bathroom, and the kitchen and dining room to make a kitchen/diner. (We have had structural engineer and building control sign off). So far we have removed the chimney from the roof and down to floor level on the first floor (the current bathroom). So now we need to repair the ceiling and floor joists. Ceilings joists are fine, no problems there but I have a query regarding the floor joists.

We have two joists that are cut short due to where the chimney and fireplace hearth used to be. One is supported by a trimmer (correct terminology?) that runs from the full joist to its right and then sits on top of the wall (soon to be removed) on the left. Is it possible to remove the current trimmer and cut the joist so that it is the same length as the other cut joist, then put in a new trimmer that runs across both cut joists attaching it to the two full joists either side. Then extend the two cut joists from the new trimmer and tie into the wall?

Please see my album for a pic and two diagrams to help illustrate my point.

//www.diynot.com/network/Charlotte86/albums/15525

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The trimmer would be transfer the load of these joists onto the joists on either side. I wouldn't imagine that would acceptable unless you were doubling up these joists.

What about a splice detail to extend these joists. Probably a bolted splice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back