Joist repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Just lifted a couple of floorboard to run some pipes in for a radiator and found that a section of one of the joists is in a very bad state. Looks like a nasty case of deathwatch beatle.

I was wondering how to best go about repairing it? The damage appears to be mostly to the top half of the joist so I was thinking of cutting / breaking out the damaged section and replacing it with a new piece of joist then for good measure screwing another piece of joist to the side extending well beyond the damaged section. I would like to splint both sides but the joist is up against the wall so only one side is accessible.

Replacement would be very difficult (the whole of the first floor landing would have to come up) but it is not completely out of the question.

Thanks as always :D

Sponsored Links
I've lifted boards a meter to either side of the section shown in the photograph.

1m to the right of the photo the joist is rock solid so I reached under the floor and did the old stab a screwvriver in test. It looks like it's solid the whole way to the right.

1m to the left is a different story though :( - it's still rotten. To my delight though the joist stops at that point and is attached (I can't tell how) to a cross member. Do you think it would be possible to cut off the bad section and scarf joint on a new section with a joist hanger at the cross member?

The good news is that there is no bounce or sag in the floor and it's still very strong (I've had about 1/2 ton sitting right over this rotten section). If you look at the top of the photograph you will notice a row of bricks. The walls are internally corbeled at the first floor so this is the top of the ground floor wall and the floorboards have probably been sitting on them. A big part of me is tempted to just leave it as there are no signs of on-going infestation and it's clearly been like this for a very long time.

Sponsored Links
A big part of me is tempted to just leave it as there are no signs of on-going infestation and it's clearly been like this for a very long time.
:oops: Doh! missed this post!

If you're confident there's no signs of further infestation then might be easier for you to use wood epoxy although I have never used this product.

There are many products out there and here's one of them

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/rotrepair.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back