Victorian floor joists - the repair of.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 joists have been cut short by about a foot from the wall. I intend to marry up a 4ft or so section to the side of each one and to the wall with joist hangers. The existing joist measures 170mm by 35mm, an unusual size. Should I just use a 2 x 6 length, if I can't get a 170 x 35?

Sponsored Links
As you are near the end of the span, a smaller-sized joist will be no problem and 6 x 2 will be fine. What you do have to watch out for is how you fix the new length to the existing joist. The main ways are 1). bolts (or just threaded bar cut to size) and 2). coach screws.
I would be inclined to use a minimum of 4 fixings, suitably spaced, and not too near the cut ends.
A more robust method is to use toothed connectors, which bite into each face and give a good mechanical grip. The problem with these is that they are hard to fix. You have to pull the timbers together with a high-tensile steel bolt first, and when they are tight together, remove the bolt and replace with an ordinary bolt tightened up. (if you try and tighten them with an ordinary bolt, you will just strip the threads)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back