Joist Support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This joist is moving away from the support (or vice versa). Should I clamp them together or will that just cause worse problems elsewhere?

IMG_0886.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Or is it the vertical support that it's moving?
There's filler on the left of the joint and little cracks on the ceiling, surely not an inch, has it been like this from the start?
The vertical support should've been fixed at the top as well.
Take a spirit level and check the vertical plumb.

diynoob, good evening.

Is there any possibility that the vertical post is "twisting"? I ask because in the image posted there appears to be a tapering gap rather than a uniform gap between both sections?

Does the post travel up above the ceiling level?

Ken.

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay.

@johnny2007 I took a spirit level to it and the vertical post is not straight at all. It starts bending about half way up.

@KenGMac I agree that the post has twisted as well as bent.

You can see in the pic below how wonky the post is. It curves considerably to the right in the photo.

IMG_0925.jpeg

However it also appears to have twisted because there is a large gap on one side but not on the other:

IMG_0926.jpeg IMG_0927.jpeg

PS There is an identical post on the other side of the room but that one is perfectly vertical and the joist is sat snuggly on top with no gaps either side.

Sponsored Links
Is it too late to do anything about this one then? Should I clamp the other one to stop the same thing happening?

If I was you I would try clamping the 2 pieces together and see if there's any give.
If not enough, I would keep it clamped and keep a wet towel wrapped around the vertical post where it twists and keep it wet.
Over time it should start giving in and the clamp could be tightened more.
If all worked, over a few weeks the post should be in its original position ready to be properly strapped and secured to the other piece of wood.
This sometimes works, some other times it doesn't.
Otherwise it's time for a new post or metal supports which will not look great.

Thanks I'll try that. My clamp isn't big enough so I'll order a bigger one.

Shall I put a couple of bolts through the good post to stop the same thing happening?

Thanks I'll try that. My clamp isn't big enough so I'll order a bigger one.

Shall I put a couple of bolts through the good post to stop the same thing happening?
Yes, and if you can, strap it at the top.
You'll need to remove some of the ceiling for that.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say strapping. There's a massive loft hatch between the posts so I have easy access from above if that helps.

IMG_0928.jpeg

diynoob, good evening again.

OK more images.

From the last set of images posted.

1/. The post does not go up into the loft.
2/. Is that a splice I can see in the beam?? which appears to allow the bottom of the splice to sit [roughly] central on the post??

Is there a difference in the gap between the post rebate and the beam on each side of the post?

If it were me, I would use your new clamp + sacrificial timbers between the clamp jaws and the post and beam see how far you can compress the post towards the beam leave tight for a while then re-tighten again.

Ken.

I see the post has been cut too short to be strapped at the top.
Basically it's free to move as it wishes.

johnny2007, good evening.

What I do is to click on the image, choose the "save as" option and you [should] find that you can store the image and more importantly adjust the [say] brightness or in this case zoom in and around the image, if the image is large enough it is remarkable just how much detail can be revealed??

Ken.

johnny2007, good evening.

What I do is to click on the image, choose the "save as" option and you [should] find that you can store the image and more importantly adjust the [say] brightness or in this case zoom in and around the image, if the image is large enough it is remarkable just how much detail can be revealed??

Ken.
From the first image it looked like the post was all the way to the ceiling.
The 2 inch gap wasn't evident like in your last pictures.
Anyhow, you have a good battle in your hands.
The post could be straightened but to be properly strapped you will need to either add some wood or some metal to it.
That will not look perfect unfortunately.
Other solution would be to replace the post.
Or, clamp the wood together as suggested above and bolt it.
Then hope that the post will not pull the joist out of place.

Yes, the beam is spliced directly above the post.

Still waiting for the clamps to arrive then I’ll see how I get on. I doubt I’ll be able to straighten the post but if I can tease it back towards the beam then hopefully I can fix it in place to stop it from moving again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back