Joists and joist hangers. Problem finding bracket to fit doubled 47mm joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've cut a hatch into my kitchen floor to provide access and storage and I'm doubling up the trimmer joists as recommended but I'm having problems finding either the same size joists or joist hangers to fit the doubled joist.
The original joists are 50x150mm. I can't find these from any timber merchants in West London and so have settled on installing two 47x145mm (merchants quote these as being 50x150) next to the old joists. The problem is when I put two together to double them there are no hangers 94mm wide. The only choice is 100mm which leaves a large 6 mm gap. Does this matter as the weight of the joist and any load above will be on the base of the bracket and the nails into the header joist?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter; just use the slightly wider hanger and wedge a thin piece of timber
at the side of the joist to tighten it up.

Thanks Tony, I thought this might be the case but just wanted a sanity check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back