Moving a joist + fitting joist hanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move a floor joist about 8cm to make way for a soil pipe which is going from upstairs -> downstairs. The joist is about 3ft long, 7x2 inches, and went from a hole in the brick wall at one end to a trimmer at the other. I've removed the joist and intend to block the hole, then fit new joist with hangers at each end.

Coupla questions:

1) What's the maximum distance a joist can be spaced from the wall? I'm thinking 110mm (soil pipe) plus about 20mm (pipe bracket stand-off), but don't want to fall foul of any regulations.

2) How do I fit a joist hanger to the wall? Screws and rawplugs? If so what length/diameter/type should they be?

3) Do I have to have a stand-off bracket for fitting the soil pipe? I could save some space by just strapping it to the wall, but don't know if stand-off is required by any regs.

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
you can bolt a carrier batten either side of the stack pipe if you wish.

there are no regulations governing the fixing of a stack pipe, though a standard pipe clip does hold the pipe off the wall about 25mm.

we usually sit the first joist against the wall then let the pipe fit tight to the first joist, all this means is that you have to fit a spacer batten before fixing the pipe clips.

Thanks noseall, sorry for the delay - been checking up on some details. After finding what looks to be an appropriate hanger here:

http://www.sabrefix.co.uk/products_timbertotimber_view.php?id=10

I ask the company concerned what kind of bolt to use, and am helpfully told they should be 10mm. Next email, I ask how long the bolt should be, and where to get them, and am totally astounded by the reply, along the lines of "It depends" and consultation with BC may be required, etc, etc.. I find it kind-of odd that a company can go into great detail about how many nails I need in a hanger to support a particular loading, how many bolts I need for same, but not be prepared to tell me what type of bolt to use :eek:. Anyhow, in my case this will be going into brickwork, double skinned with no cavity.

Can someone help me out here? I know this is not like putting up some shelves, but is it really this complicated?

Sponsored Links
bt_welded-hanger.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back