Joists/ceiling how to level?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all, any help would be great.

I have taken my living room ceiling down due to the previous owner having several leaks and re patching with new boards and artex and the result was terrible.

I had a plasterer advise me on the upstairs rooms but due to me taking a year and a bit to get the living room clear and ready he has now moved and i am not sure about a few small questions.

I have put 4 lengths of string up the opposite the way the joists run the way i am going to lay the long edge of the plasterboard to see how uneven the joists are and they vary a bit, the smallest gap is 3-4mm and the biggest is 10-15mm.

I have the packing strips already cut in 2 and 5mm ready to build up accordingly and was wondering what is deemed an acceptable gap is after packing out?

I think the boards and plasterer can even out unevenness but i don't want to make the job any harder for him if i can help it.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Sponsored Links
Obviously the flatter you can get it the better, but I wouldn't go mental over it.

Having said that I'm sitting at the moment looking at a wall which you would never know isn't perfect, however, it's 5mm bowed.

For a ceiling I think it will be very hard to notice if it isn't flat, so long as your boards aren't stepped and the plastering is smooth.

if the ceiling is gradually uneven you should be okay.
where the ceiling joins the wall, or coving ,that might show,
check the ceiling-line with a 6ft straight edge.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys, the joists are all over the place in regards to levels no two are the same next to each other, so its sort of up then down then level.

Also the joists that are a lot out seem to be out the most in the middle eg bending upwards - so i presume the best bet is put my spirit level along the joist and pack accordingly?

Last question - my joist centers range from 400mm ish to 540ish and inbetween. Can i get away without noggins or not?
Thanks again.

Why not ask whoever is going to plaster the ceiling ,to
come around and have a look .
You might be worrying over nothing.
If you were to go along the packing out route ,it would
be easier to counter-batten with 4by1 (or similar) , and pack out battens .

For a ceiling, generally only the ceiling line catches the eye ( ie where wall meets ceiling)

If this is not bad, the a bit of bonding, feathered back, will get over 10mm or so. Any more you would need battens/packers etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back