Joists in new flat roof getting wet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In short, ground floor extension with flat roof... it can't be roofed properly until the dormer is built, which won't happen for a while due to delays and weather. So I now have a load of joists that I've fitted, which are getting wet in the rain. I've put DPC over them to try to stop them getting wet, but it's just absolutely hammered down and I'm concerned that if they stay like this I'll end up with a set of bananas instead of a nice flat roof.

Should I be looking to buy a load of (eye-wateringly expensive) OSB sheet or similar and sheet the roof temporarily so I can protect it? Given the weather forecast, it's going to be a few weeks if not more until I can get the old dormer stripped off and the new one built.

Sponsored Links
Scaffold and tarp would probably be cheaper

Depends really on how long your unknown delay will be.

Sponsored Links
If it's the black polythene visqueen type dpm you've covered it with then that will be fine as long as its properly held down.

my flat roof that is boarded has been covered in it for at least a weeks rain to keep the boards dry and it's been absolutely fine as we keep removing it to do a bit more in between the weather

Temporary board it with the boards or insulation sheets you would be buying anyway, and these will keep the polythene flat and draining properly.

Don't let water run down the walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back