Joists sat slightly high in hanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Beginning the process of building garden room/office.

I have set out the floor timber frame and have laid the joists across using hangers on each end.

I noticed that some of the joists sit slightly high in the hanger and wondered if it’s going to be an issue when I come to lay the osb flooring down.

any advice please

Sponsored Links
How much are we talking?

5mm is probably fine

15mm is an issue.

Why are they sitting high - do you mean there's a gap underneath or do you mean some joists are wider?

How much are we talking?

5mm is probably fine

15mm is an issue.

Why are they sitting high - do you mean there's a gap underneath or do you mean some joists are wider?

Pics attached

56018975-4D06-44D2-A7C7-74ADEA73DA8E.jpeg
E15122C4-D8AA-4B37-A4BD-10C4E7497BFF.jpeg

It looks to be about 10mm

It's not ideal, esp if it's not all of them.

If you haven't nailed in the joists you could lift them and notch out.

If they are all fixed in, then you could sit a straight length of timber across and see what the biggest gap is - if it looks bad then maybe get some ply or rip up some timber to pack out the offenders.

Sponsored Links
It looks to be about 10mm

It's not ideal, esp if it's not all of them.

If you haven't nailed in the joists you could lift them and notch out.

If they are all fixed in, then you could sit a straight length of timber across and see what the biggest gap is - if it looks bad then maybe get some ply or rip up some timber to pack out the offenders.

Thanks

joists are screwed in to the hanger. I Used twist nails to fit hanger to timber face

Have you applied a large hammer too ensure they are fully seated , you don’t want to pack only to find they drop slightly with use .

Then pack or plane, I would rather plane them down.
I'd rather pull them out, notch the bottoms and refit. I always thought you weren't allowed to use packers in a joist hanger. Seen that pulled a few times over the years

I'd rather pull them out, notch the bottoms and refit. I always thought you weren't allowed to use packers in a joist hanger. Seen that pulled a few times jover the years
Packing would be around perimeter not in hangers as it’s under floor.It’s only a shed .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back