Joists support for flat garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to extend my existing flat garage roof by approx 2m in length

Its worth mentioning that i am link detached

When the house was built, the joists between myself and my neighbor were installed by seemingly smashing holes in the brickwork on both properties and cutting a notch out of the joists
Rather than adopting this same method, my thought was to bolt 2m batten joists along both mine and my neighbors walls, and then use some joist hangers for the cross joists before boarding

Can anyone confirm if this is an acceptable approach and any regs around the size and type of wood required for my proposed wall and cross joists please ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes, simplest way is screw on wall plate, joist hangers and joists.

Size depends on span. If its 3metres then something like 6 x 2 C16 at 400 ctrs

thanks for the quick reply Notch7

Distance/span between the properties is 2500mm

So when you say "screw on wall plate", are you referring to the joist that i planned to bolt to each property, or something else please ?

This is the sort of setup that i was planning :

https://www.multifixbury.com/50-x-1...MIn4CowLPp4gIVzp3tCh03lw63EAQYBSABEgIgyfD_BwE

...with the battens fastened to each property (that the joist hangers are then attached to) using this type of style of bolt :

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug...ck/57310#product_additional_details_container

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes that looks fine.
I suppose the joist hangers youve chosen are heavier duty than you need, but they do hold the joists firmly in place.

Use the proper 30mm x 3.75mm twist joist hanger nails -screwfix do them.

Dont use screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back