Journalism

Then sadly you are in London. Middlesex doesn't exist anymore, swathes of the home counties have been swallowed up.Barking, Dagenham and places like that were in Essex, but now London.
Lol. None of those places were ever in Middlesex - that’s the other side of London.

Sponsored Links
There is very little news nowadays it is mainly all opinion worded as fact. Just write your headline as a question, or quote a single person's personal view as a "there are calls for ..." and you have your clicks.

Its mainly all harvested from random people's posts from Twitter and Facebook. In my news feed I get things like "Woman makes amazing discovery to prevent virus contamination" - only to find she's bought some Dettol from Wilko and has cleaned the sink.

And the lazy writing, the poor grammar, the cut and paste, the use of Americanisms (eg "Law makers" :mad:) and acronyms not capitalised, all do nothing for my stress levels.

Have you tried to read news stories online, and have to keep scrolling through the adverts? Well that's why bringing you to that page is actually more important than the "news" presented to you.

But worse of all, is the abysmal standards on the BBC news page. And the selective news tweets from the BBC which are intended to be sensationalist and inflammatory designed to provoke a response.

The big problem is that lots of people actually believe the stuff they read without question. And especially if it fits in with their existing views, and all it does is fuel division and polarisation.

Sponsored Links
Journalists today seem to want to sensationalise everything, make stories appear to be a Hollywood disaster movie, guessing on how events happen, trying to put the fear of God in people. Today's story from class 3a as the weather "London weather-snow in Essex is temperatures plunge to near freezing". Wow, it PLUNGED to 1 degree C, in December. Oh my GOD, are we all going to die ?, and when was Essex in London?. They are also predicting more "wintery" weather, oooh, scarey, I mean, what sort of weather should we expect in winter ? Why not just say "It's a bit nippy, put on proper clothing and use common sense" ?
What gets my back up with the weather reports - apart from the fact that weather is not actually news, its weather, is that when you see "Ice storm and 10 foot of snow to hit the UK this week" it is not actually the "UK" that's going to be hit, but a little village on the north of the Orkney Islands.

Watching the BBC news; it reported on over £3000 worth of Christmas trees that were stolen in Sath London. Showed CCTV footage and a comment from the Business owner.... that he was (words to the effect) gutted.
The parting words from the presenter before he handed over to the weather man was.

"Special branch are looking into it" followed by a laugh. the weatherman then made a comment and laughed........

Thats someones live...... it wasn't funny

Not really the other side.
I think we should start a pedants section, I'd like that. This would be me (in green)
grammar.jpeg

London is pretty much the whole of old Middlesex, but the surrounding counties largely survived

17431.png

It's ridiculous to suggest it's purely the domain of right wing press or tabloids, here is an article from the guardian stating because of Brexit, we will be at the back of the queue for the covid vaccine, Now we're the first in the world I won't hold my breath for an apology, I wouldn't have expected anything better from the Guardian.

Brexit means coronavirus vaccine will be slower to reach the UK (msn.com)

And the paragon of virtue the BBC in an ofcom poll has now fallen to 5th place on perceived impartiality.

The big problem is that lots of people actually believe the stuff they read without question. And especially if it fits in with their existing views, and all it does is fuel division and polarisation.

So true especially this last bit, well said.

It's ridiculous to suggest it's purely the domain of right wing press or tabloids, here is an article from the guardian stating because of Brexit, we will be at the back of the queue for the covid vaccine, Now we're the first in the world I won't hold my breath for an apology, I wouldn't have expected anything better from the Guardian.

Brexit means coronavirus vaccine will be slower to reach the UK (msn.com)

And the paragon of virtue the BBC in an ofcom poll has now fallen to 5th place on perceived impartiality.
Read the Guardian article again and tell me what it really says

Sponsored Links
Back