Junction Box or Butt Crimps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Extending a ring into a conservatory from one socket in the dining area as i cannot get access to the next socket. That socket is in an upstairs bedroom and would reqire some massive cable rerouting. I know within part p that i can extend the ring but if i used a junction box i would not be able to access it after install so will i need to crimp the connections using a ratchet crimping tool and insulated crimp butts to conform to current regulations? A spur would be easier but my missus wants 3 double sockets and i don't think you can spur that much? . Also do i need to inform building regs as the plug socket i'm coming off is in the dining area? Do i need to get a registered electrician to check the installation in order to get a certificate before i complete the conservatory? Please give me any advice. Many Thanks!! Brian.

Sponsored Links
If the joint is not accessible it must be made with crimps or soldering.

You can only take one unfused spur from a single/double socket but if you fit a 13A FCU then you can run as many as you like from the load side because they are all protected by the 13A fuse.

Adding sockets is not notifiable unless they are in the kitchen. All electrical work should be tested and a minor works cert. provided, but I doubt you have the equipment to do this and for such minor work it isn't necessary for a DIY'er.

Thanks for the gen mate. If i come to sell the house in a few years time will i need an electrical part p certificate signed of by a leccy? It's all greek to me with the new rules

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back