replace a junction box (with a spur) with crimps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I had a junction box under floorboards that a ring main ran through and also provided a spur to another socket, how could it be replaced with crimped connections so it would not need to be available for maintenance and testing?

As far as I can tell you can only crimp one wire to another. How do you crimp three together? Is it even possible?

Sponsored Links
You can't.

Either route the spur to an accesible connection point such as at the back of another socket, or rewire it to be included on the ring final circuit.

It's not (you could use larger crimps, but it's likely to be fairly unreliable, and since it would be against the manufacturers recommendations also against the regs).

What you could potentially do, is use one of these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ803.html - there is disagreement as to whether they are allowed to be inaccessible or not (no need to start that argument again on this thread!), but since you're basically stuck with needing something unless you can re-route / replace cabling, it would probably be better than one with screw terminals...

Sponsored Links
taylortwocities: I can't win. I've already been told off and had a Q deleted for asking more than one question in thread. This seems to be a simple and specific Q so I asked it separately. It was nothing to do with slow replies. No need to swear, either.

Thanks for the suggestion on the maintenance fee junction box. I shall look into that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back