Replacing Junction Boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the precess of doing general renovations to the house I have come across a few junction boxes under the floorboards in both the ring main and the lighting circuit.

What I want to know is whether I should be removing these junction boxes as I find them and joining the wires using either crimps or soldering. Obviously, being under floorboards they are not open to inspection.

Also, in this forum there appears to be differing opinions about what is the best way to join the wires together. What are the pros & cons of both crimping and soldering. I understand that when soldering you need a good electrical connection before applying the solder and that the solder itself should not be providing the electrical connection but just holding it all together.

Many thanks for any advise.

Russell

Sponsored Links
Do away with the need for any junction boxes at all by replacing the cables, making all joints in sockets / switches / fittings, so they will always be accessable?

Do away with the need for any junction boxes at all by replacing the cables, making all joints in sockets / switches / fittings, so they will always be accessable?

While this may be the ideal solution it is not always possible when the wire is in an area that is decorated or has floor laid.

I am perfectly happy with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy. However, what if there is one that is broke and does need replacing. Should I then replace with a new junction box or join the wires.

Sponsored Links
I am perfectly happy with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy. However, what if there is one that is broke and does need replacing. Should I then replace with a new junction box or join the wires.

Replace with through crimps (blue on the live cores, red on the CPC/earth) and heatshrink over the entire lot. It will be neatest if you stagger the crimps to avoid a large 'bunch' in the cable.

Check the tightness of the screws and put back under the floor for another 20 years or problem free electrics.......?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back