Junction type box

I know of no law, even now, that says it is illegal to install a fuse box inside the loft. There are many FCUs (a form of fuse box) in lofts.
Nor do I know any regulation which explicitly forbids it, although there might be some issues (such as accessibility of 'points of isolation') that might possible (at least in some people's eyes) fall foul of some vague 'catch all' regs.

In fact, one of my neighbours does have a (relatively modern) CU in his loft. It replaces it's predecessor, which seems to have been installed close to where the (overhead) supply enters his house.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Apparently when the new emergency light/battery unit was replaced he said there was no power, so no, no actual testing took place.
Why did the battery need replacing?
The emergency lights kicked in as they were supposed to do.
For how long did they stay on?

Was it too-short a time, because the battery needed replacing? If so, why hadn't the regular testing been taking place which would have flagged the problem sooner?

I own a flat in a block of four - all the communal lights (PIR operated) run off the flats' supplies, as does the door entry system.
It sounds rather like a fuse/circuit breaker is tripped and that's removed power from the lights. That's made the emergency lights come on until their batteries ran out. In theory the batteries should just recharge once power is restored - but when deeply discharged, it's common for them to fail.
A few years ago, one of the flats changed ands and the new owner was having some work done. Driving past (I used to pass on the way out from/back in to home) I saw my tenant taking a screwdriver to the outside panel. The switch-fuse for the other downstairs flat was "locked off" with some red sticky tape :whistle: because we believe he was having the CU changed. One of the residents asked "can't we just turn it back on ?" :eek: I politely pointed out that we had no idea what exposed connections there might be inside the flat, so no we couldn't.

So you need to find the supply (which could be anywhere, and in any of the flats) and reset the fuse/circuit breaker. Chances are that that's all that's needed.

As to it being the management company's problem, bear in mind that all the mgmt co will do is get someone in - and add their markup before billing the residents. Allegedly the contractors they use will often artificially inflate the bills and the mgmt co won't care as they are simply passing on the extra cost.
In our flats, while the freeholder is in theory responsible for things - we normally just get together and do it between the four of us (or 9 if it's something common to the whole development) and split the bill. That way we get to choose who does what and how much we'll be paying :)

Has the old emergency light got a label on it, its possible its an old battery standby system and dont have a permanent supply,

Sponsored Links
You mean the battery standby system ?
The battery is kept float charged (so yes, the battery charger does have a permanent supply), if the mains fails then the lighting systems is connected to the battery, the lights don't have any supply except when the mains fails.

Never assume.
I know of no law, even now, that says it is illegal to install a fuse box inside the loft. There are many FCUs (a form of fuse box) in lofts.

Just make sure, boys and girls, that you don't try fitting these FCU's on a lighting circuit...

I have come across shed-loads of systems with battery back-up that have shot batteries. As an end-user, you don't notice anything wrong until the power goes down, then the batteries cannot perform.

I have come across shed-loads of systems with battery back-up that have shot batteries. As an end-user, you don't notice anything wrong until the power goes down, then the batteries cannot perform.
Aren't emergency lighting systems supposed to be regularly checked, and a log of those checks kept, for precisely that reason?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back