jungle next door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps, I just got a visit from an agent /surveyor and a bloke from a trust to let me know that the owner of a piece of land next door has died and left the land to the trust. This is an area about the size of where you might put a reasonable house and reasonable garden.
It is undeveloped i.e. a garden abandoned for years, all sorts of growth, brambles et cetera, total jungle. The trust will have a go at getting PP and then sell the land. The jungle gives us added privacy but ain't the prettiest sight, so somebody building on it wouldn't be a disaster for me, I don't mind within reason.
This area is very slopey. The road outside the plot is sunken about eight feet so how they're going to provide vehicular access I don't know. That's their problem.
As above, I don't mind a house there but is there anything I should watch out for? For example they are downslope from me, so I assume they'll have to sort out retaining walls or whatever to "retain" my land at its present higher level?
I trust the trust but they will sell to another party who will be doing the building.
Finally as they say in the movies when the cops call round: "do I need a lawyer?" :)
TIA, Regards, Terry.

Sponsored Links
Well firstly if you are in the countryside or outside the settlement boundary there may not be much chance of getting planning anyway. You could check the planning history and the local plan if you want to know more.

Assuming permission is granted then I would photograph the boundary on that side and also fence anything that is unclear. It is also worth checking the legal cover on your insurance.

Even with good intentions it can be difficult with sloping land if there is a lot of rain when they are doing the work, there was an epic one in Bath on Grand Designs 2008 when half the neighbours garden vanished! So you are right to be cautious.

Even with good intentions it can be difficult with sloping land if there is a lot of rain when they are doing the work,

At my college the chemistry building (late 60s early 70s) was built on the side of a slope and has entrances on something like five different levels. The architects / engineers calculated the weight of the ground removed and made the building the same weight, so the whole thing should stay together. It won one (or maybe more more) prizes for this innovative and effective approach.

Sadly by the late 80s cracking had appeared and it was obvious that something was wrong; maybe the original calculations, maybe the usage had changed sufficiently or maybe something else. In any case remedial work was needed.

This was clearly a much more substantial build, but Footsoldier888 is right to urge caution.

Sponsored Links
photo everything on the lot from all sides an any boundry or fence. and anything like trees in the lot.
as said buying it yourself is the way.
dont get into any conversations with these people. you dont realy know who they are anyway.
stay away from estate agents or agent for anyone.

Of course, it could all be a scam. They may have been watching the obituaries, and have just claimed the land. Anyone can apply for planning permission.

Now if you'd had any use of the land over the last 10 years or so, then you could have claimed adverse possession of it.

Thanks for your replies guys. Doggit, yes I always assume everything is a scam until I think otherwise. I googled the two blokes' organisations and looks kosher. I've only been here 3 1/2 years so can't grab it!
bobasd, foot soldier : yes - photos.
Stephenoak yes caution.
Ian h : my first thought! But they added a couple of zeros on (which I think is optimistic to say the least.)
Three guys (ok by "guys" I include their wives ....) back onto the plot in question and one of them is a builder so I'll have a chat with them.
I am thinking of saying you have answered this post, and down the track if necessary re-raising the matter under building regs / PP which is probably a better place for it.
Thanks, Terry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back