Just fitted a radiator and it wont heat up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just helped out a friend painter and d
I removed a radiator 5 days ago so he could decorate behind it etc
I have just put it back on today and no heating on the rad and one in the next room doesnt heat up either.
I have tried bleedind rad but this doesnt work
Please help as i have left this person now with no heating in this room by the way it is a 3 storey vic house

Sponsored Links
sounds like an airlock ?

are u getting water out when bleeding ?

can you close off the other rads and see if that pushes the air along ?

when i tried to bleed it the bleed nut was damaged so how to open the top part of radiator which i could hear air but nothing happened

Sponsored Links
Have any rads got a drain off on ,if so attach hose to this with jubilee clip and the other end to outside tap turn on slow to push air to header tank this will alleviate the problem.

likewise if ur rad has a drain point then connect a hose and drain for about a minute...this could do it without the danger of overflowing in the loft (if warning pipe has a problem)

Few years ago experienced a similar problem. Removed radiator again and replaced it with clear plastic hose connected to 1/2 in tap connectors which matched the radiator valves. There was no flow through the plastic pipe. Then removed one end of pipe and placed in bucket, opened valve to allow bucket to fill and out comes water plus air. Close valve and repeat for other side. Tried heating again. This time water flows through pipe but did contain air bubbles which finished up in radiators.With valves closed and pipe removed, radiator replaced problem solved.
You can try increasing pump speed and boiler temperture if you don't like the above.That might shift it.
It would take for ever to get rid of a air lock via a bleed valve and it's highly likly the air can't move along to a radiator due to the resistance. So it makes sense to release the resistance to get rid of air.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

what ?...try again and try a bit more info

The bleed valve has broken off so i undone 1 of the caps on top of radiator i could hear air but couldnt see no water moving about this house is 3 storeys high 2 rads on top floor these are ones that dont work and neither has a d.o.c on them
Can i still put hose on 1 on bottom floor
I was told by a plumber friend to turn all radiators off in the house then open the 1 with a problem as this would push air out

i take its a pressurised system to get ch water up there. have u closed off all other rads to see if air is pushed along ( as per my 1st suggestion)
is the system pressurised ?
u must have water in the rads...so make sure the system got some pressure.....say 2 bar and go upstairs and undo the cap till water comes out..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back