Just had some builders round...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a quote to rip out the lathe and plaster, re board and skim.

The property was built circa 1895, the builder tells me its impossible to paint straight onto the skim as properties in london of that age move alot and the paint work would crack. He suggests skimming covered with wallpaper and then paint.

is this true?

Sponsored Links
OOI, is this L&P stud walls, or L&P ceiling?

What area are you in? Clay soil? old mineshafts? Heavy traffic?

Hi John,

Im in South West London which (now you mention it) I think is clay. Not on a main road.

Its both L&P ceiling and stud walls and part external wall above a bay window.

What is OOI???

Sponsored Links
What do you think then John?

Does this seem right to you to suggest papering or is this and excuse for a poor plastering job???

Don't know. I know someone with an 1890's house on London clay, but is on a concrete raft so apart from wartime bomb movement it doesn't appear to be moving any more. Their raft is less than a metre below ground level. Neighbours with cellars and no raft seem to have more cracks.

Someone will be along who does know, i expect.

The name of your borough may help, and maybe things like are you on a hill, in a terrace or an individual house, how near to rivers...

Thanks John i'm in Wandsworth. Not on a hill, In a terrace, near a river and the area was subjected to bombing.

I suppose what I want to know more than anything is has anyone heard of this before where the plaster suggests wallpaper over new board and a new skim?

Mark, would you be painting it yourself? if so I'd just get your builders to do the plastering and then you paint it.
I don't live there but I bet everyone around you dosnt have to wallpaper due to cracking and all that bombing!!! sounds like you live in the far east!
why not ask another builder to give you a quote?

Thanks Richard, I have another guy coming round tomorrow. Lets see what he says.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back