Just looking for someone to double check my deck frame, would really appreciateit!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just looking to double check my deck subframe, I’m planning to put a hot tub on it.

Image attached.

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 15.30.59.png

The whole thing is constructed from 50x150mm treated timber and about 100mm off the ground.

The red lines are the bearers 50mm x 150mm timbers spaced 1.6m apart resting on uprights (on concrete pads) space 1.3m apart

The blue lines are the joists 50mm x 150mm on 400mm centres with a 1.3m span.

Blue lines are connected to red with joist hangers.

The top and bottom bearers (red lines) are against a wall so could also be ledger boards, would this be better?

Sponsored Links
I'd add a red line incase you get a few fitties in the tub all at once :)

Yes, it might be overkill with 6x2's but after I did mine I was gutted with a bit of spring in it and wished I'd have put more support under it.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it might be overkill with 6x2's but after I did mine I was gutted with a bit of spring in it and wished I'd have put more support under it.

Yeah it makes sense, never know how heavy the hot tub could be!

Do you think I should use the ledger boards on the far ends instead of posts?

Have you got the capacity of your hot tub, amazing what they can weigh.

1 cubic meter of water weighs a tonne and they'll be at least a couple in there!.

Have you got the capacity of your hot tub, amazing what they can weigh.

1 cubic meter of water weighs a tonne and they'll be at least a couple in there!.

Hot tub is 1.6x1.6m so the water weight will be about 2.5 tonnes plus the actual tub, so approaching 3 tonnes :eek:

Plus the aforementioned fitties/fatties!

That's also why I was considering placing the whole frame on the ground rather than using posts as it is a ground deck, I actually have to dig out the ground to use posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back