Just not cricket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did the Aussies cheat when Bairstow left the crease at the end of the over, or was it just unsportsmanlike behaviour. Or, on the other hand, sour grapes from England who were losing, and went on to lose.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Wicketkeeper stumped him in one motion, no case to answer, Johnny Bairstow commits sin of not leaving your crease schoolboys have drilled into them.
Much as Starcs 'catch' wasn't a catch if you ground it falling to the ground.
Reading some comments on the message boards on the altercation at lunch between the Aussies and the members, the comment about the members mounting a reply via gunboats was one that caught my eye, lol.

Last edited:
I was only watching because it was more exciting than the Austrian f1 grand prix. I didn’t see a shot that showed the whole sequence with all parties involved, only various clips, and I am sure the tv only showed the individual actions.
I had it as unsportsman like behaviour, mind you some of the bowling nowadays is intended to intimidate the batter rather than hit the wicket!
Perhaps its time to get back to playing cricket.

Sponsored Links
Good point about the use of the bouncer, the regulation of two per over was certainly stretched this test and if repeated at headingly hopefully the umps step in and apply the letter of the law.

Kevin Pietersen got it right, he said it was clearly within the rules and that Bairstow had a dopey moment. K P is often a deliberate controversialist, he was spot on with this.

The behaviour of members in the members area was something else though.

Blup

The Aussies should've played in the spirit of the game, not the letter of the law, and warned him about tapping his foot in the crease before walking down the pitch. But the Aussies play to win and an Ashes series always needs a bit o' needle to make it interesting.
"The game's afoot..."

Think you've just made a case for how boneheaded Bairstow was to go walkabout.
Don't know how true it is, some are saying Bairstow did the same thing when he was behind the stumps a couple of days earlier when the Aussies were batting.

Think you've just made a case for how boneheaded Bairstow was to go walkabout.
Don't know how true it is, some are saying Bairstow did the same thing when he was behind the stumps a couple of days earlier when the Aussies were batting.
He should've paid attention and made sure he was fully aware of the situation before giving the Aussies an inch. In that situation they'll take the mile with a smile. The papers down-under are having a field day at our expense.:(

The Aussies should've played in the spirit of the game
Is there such a thing in English society any more, especially post brexhit Britain. Why should cricketers be held to higher standards than popular conservative politicians?

Blup

Is there such a thing in English society any more, especially post brexhit Britain. Why should cricketers be held to higher standards than popular conservative politicians?

Blup
w00t?

The aussies need a break after that trade deal.

Blup

it was more exciting than the Austrian f1 grand prix.

Pretty much everything is more exciting than a F1 grand prix, IMHO (although the night ones are visually spectacular, if only for the colour of the cars "popping" under the lights).

That's a diff'rent kettle o' fish, yes?
Sport is inherently political at that level. How our teams perform reflect the country's aspirations and expectations, we took our eye off the ball, literally, and the aussie keeper had probably already spotted that as a trait in Bairstow and took his chances. Whether the rules should be changed to disallow a run out if the player is still at the crease when ball is thrown is up for debate.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Back