Just plastered - am i wasting my time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

About 3 weeks ago I had a room skim coated.

Following the skim coat I wiped it down with wet cloths to get rid of any shi^e.

Yesterday, I sanded a door frame which has made the house quite dusty.

When I move my hand over the newly skim coated walls I feel a dust which comes off onto my fingertips. I assume this dust is either dust from the sanded door frame or dust from the plaster (which I assume will always happen until it is sealed) or a combination of both.

Today I intended applying a mist coat. Am I wasting my time by either vacuming the wall or wiping it down prior to the mist coat?

Help would be apprecaited

Paul

Sponsored Links
I would just go over it with a brush or broom. For mist coat use ordinary matt emulsion (cheapo stuff will do) thinned 25-30%; apply 2-3 coats in quick sucession without drying in between. Leave for 24 hours before applying chosen finishing coats.

thanks Richard,

Just a quick broom in downward strokes towards the floor?

I have only ever applied one mist coat at about 25% water and then three coats of chosen colour emulsion.

Does that sound ok?

Cheers

Paul

brush dust off walls then use a contract emulsion and water down by 10-20%.contract has no vinal in it and is specially for new plaster.get jonmatt from johnstones paints.hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Just a quick broom in downward strokes towards the floor?
Yes that’s fine
I have only ever applied one mist coat at about 25% water and then three coats of chosen colour emulsion.
Does that sound ok?
I always apply 2/3 in quick succession, doesn't take very long & helps give better adhesion; apply your chosen finish after 24 hours. You can use contract emulsion as stated but take it from me it’s not necessary, a cheap non-vinyl matt emulsion is all I’ve ever used & will work just as well. 25% is OK but the amount of thinning required for the initial mist coat keeps popping up from the same quarters & is obviously something one or two others on here seem to disagree with but take it from someone who sticks plaster onto walls all the time, 10% is way too thick for an initial mist coat on new plaster, weather it’s contract matt or otherwise; but your decision. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back