Strange Texture - New Plaster - Any Ideas??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've had a lathe & plaster wall skimmed. The plasterer did a great job, it felt really smooth. The plasterer recommended a coat of B&Q plaster sealer then on with the paint, which I did. I put on 2 coats of Leyland white contract matt paint. The paint looked really blotchy and had areas where is almost looked like it has run (which it hadn't).

I then gave it a sand, wiped down the dust with a damp sponge, then put on 3 coats of Dulux timeless Classic Antique map matt paint. The result is terrible! It has a raised texture in places that resembles fibreglass (see photos). The texture is very hard and difficult to sand down. I thought it might be a reaction of the paint with the plaster?? It's not over the whole wall but appears in patches.

The plasterer is going to re-skim the worst wall which gets direct sunlight (the sun really highlights the problem) but I just can't understand what went wrong. Has anyone seen this type of texture before with new plaster?

Thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
When it was plastered all you needed to do was let it dry then put a watered down "wash" coat of an emulsion (30% to50%) with water ,It is important to do this on new plaster as it soaks in a lot easier than un diluted paint. You don't need sealers or pva on new plaster before you paint it!!! If you don't put a wash coat on it the un diluted paint will be too thick for it all to get absorbed in the new plaster.

Paint brush for the sealer as directed by the instructions and a roller for emulsion with brush to cut in at the edges.

Sponsored Links
They do look like brush marks.
Have you spoken to your plasterer about it?

Yes - he says in his 30 years plastering he has never seen this before - just my luck!!

When you sand down does it come off as a dust or fibres?
What was the old wall surface like?
It looks like the sealer brushed coat was too thick and dried very quickly, but I am suprised you did not see the effect directly after applying the first coat.

If you are certain it is the coating you have put on rather than any kind of fibre in his plaster, I can only suggest perhaps sanding and using a product like pollycel base coat applied with a roller that should smooth out the surface a fair bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back