plastering techniques

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I've done many plastering jobs around the house mainly skimming but I for whatever reason can never get it like a pro plasterer. I apply first coat of skim then leave it to go off abit then flatten off then apply second coat more or less straight away, leave second coat to go off a little but still workable and flatten it off filling any holes and hollows, I then go straight over it again with a wet trowel and finish with a dry troweling. Am I doing anything wrong it seems to feel chalky when fully dry leaving a little dust on my hand. Could any pro plasterers let me know what I am doing wrong. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do you prep the surface before applying the first coat - take up suction, using PVA as a prep?

DIY'ers tend to over trowel or polish - its not necessary. They are often too liberal with a wet brush.

Are you mixing fresh powder, adding to clean water, and constantly cleaning your tools (that includes buckets and boards)?

Research past similar posts on here.

Sounds like you are doing right. It's the over polished so-called pros that are wrong.
You are looking for a satin finish that takes paint well, not some over polished marble you can't paint.

Thank you for your replies, the surface is silk paint so I blue grit it and pva that before skimming. I dont think i'm getting the timing right to do the final trowelling this is usually done when brown patches are forming.

Sponsored Links
That's when you do your final polish - but not too much. You don't want hard and shiny - you want smooth and soft.

Thanks for the reply and your time. I always thought it was to late to polish when it started to go dark.

It is if you leave it until it feels hard under your trowel but when you get the very first signs of it turning - then I find that the best time to do the quick and final polish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back