Just thinking out load - instant flooring, rot proof, breathable, strong....

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why do we go to such lengths to fix timber to other bits of timber to make floors?

If these are strong enough outside to drive cars over, why not use them on top of a the slab, then lay insulation boards on top, then screed?

OK, probably not in the building regs handbook ... but, why not do something like this, rather than mess about with all those bits of wood and nails? If using plywood instead of screed, would be easy to access for maintenance etc.

The cells measure 708mm long x 354mm wide x 150mm deep

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/soakaway-crates/282701056970?hash=item41d24bcbca:g:4fcAAOSw401Z6S9l

From my ground to the top of my floorboard is 34cm. Thin layer of sand to level, 15cm soakaway crates, 15cm insulation board and 3cm for flooring ...

I am probably missing something obvious.....you'd need to be able to level them near perfectly ..... as I say, just thinking out loud....

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
0.037 M3 crate for 18 pounds.
But 0.5m3 aggregate or hard core is less than 50 pounds plus cement for 40 max if you need it. Plus labour.
So filing with hardcore and concrete will be more economical in New construction.

Yeah, but, what about an existing floor in an old house that is rotting away with high external floor levels and lack of ventilation already?
In terms of DIY easiness, it must win.... but will it wobble, sink, etc.

Or these
https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk...kNQVGajSL-yS2bTmX0Un_NdvmlvQOjvYaAi5VEALw_wcB

39287.jpg

I could just rip out all the joists, clean the area, remove plasterboard and skirting too to get rid of rot, and put these down 10-20 of these down and with a lot of adjusting and a spirit level, create a floor? Do away with the lower joists that sit close to the wall completely. Then put either floorboards or chipboard and carpet?

Sponsored Links
At £5 each for those pad things your floor will be a bit dear. Plus if your subfloor is not up to modern standards (ie is not a concrete pad 100mm or so) then they'll sink into the mud/clay quite quickly, causing you all sorts of grief.
Couple of dwarf walls, a load of 6 x 2 and some DPM and you'll have a conventional floor that you can fix whatever you like to.

That's a point - no idea what that subfloor is really like

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back