Karndean over underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm planning to lay Karndean Korlok in my flat. I've removed my old engineered wood floor. Underneath that I have a 6mm black rubber Tredaire underlay for acoustic insulation. Do I have to remove it before laying the Karndean? Their instructions say their flooring needs no underlay, but should be laid on a solid floor. My Karndean samples feel pretty solid on top of it, and removing it feels like a waste.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Speak to Karndean, but any deformation/movement will snap the Korlok joints.

Will lead to problems If any movement under planks. Is it a soild underlay ?

Sponsored Links
It's a fairly dense, firm rubber foam, and it's been pressed down by engineered wood flooring for a few years.

most vinyl click flooring has to have a thin underlay. You can’t have it compress. Wood flooring is thicker so that is ok to compress a bit.

Laid my floor a few months ago, just wanted to post my experiences in case useful to somebody else. I eventually went for QuietWalk LV 1.4mm underlay under Korlok, and I'm very happy with the results. I'm grateful for the wise advice I got on here!

It feels like the acoustic insulation is very good with this combo. It's worth laying the underlay at right angles to the flooring to reduce the effect of any irregularities on the joins in the Korlok.

Laid my floor a few months ago, just wanted to post my experiences in case useful to somebody else. I eventually went for QuietWalk LV 1.4mm underlay under Korlok, and I'm very happy with the results. I'm grateful for the wise advice I got on here!

It feels like the acoustic insulation is very good with this combo. It's worth laying the underlay at right angles to the flooring to reduce the effect of any irregularities on the joins in the Korlok.
Does your korlok have built in underlay already? I'm thinking of using additional underlay for better noise insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back