Karndean versus tiling - please discuss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Renovating a house - choosing Karndean for the kitchen but not sure what to do about the bathroom as want to tile the walls. Any advice / experience appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
What's the substrate of the floor??

It's a mess basically in what will be the kitchen. It's been two rooms - one with wooden floorboards about 3" wide and the other where we have had the tiles hacked off leaving what looks like concrete - the wall was knocked down between these two rooms so there is now about a 4" gap of nothing near a trap door. The trap door is going to be moved to another place (this has allowed access for re-wiring and plumbing) so we can floor the whole lot. Any advice very much appreciated. Some say asphalt it, others say ply. The bathroom floor is concrete and looks very much an easier job.

Ok the kitchen first then ....
The 3inch floorboards...what condition are they in...
You could either...
Screw these down onto the joists...or..

Just rip them up,have a look at the floor joists while they are up..check for woodworm ect treat if needed...
Joist sizes and spans...how are they what spacing/sizes are they...

If all ok...look into screwing wbp plywood down primed underside and edges...
see what thickness off wbp ply you will need to keep level with your existing concrete floor...ideally you would want min 22mm...

Concrete floor if any damage you can just screed over it with a latex based slc,prime floor prior tho if needed...mfr instruction..

Bathroom floor...does it have a dpm installed under it...if so give it 2 coats off sbr across the floor then up the floor (100%) coverage...then cement based addy and tile away...

Concrete floors always check for a dpm course...look behind skirting boards,take some off the plaster of the walls it should run up the walls a min 150mm

Sponsored Links
One question George ..

When you say renovation this property....

How old is it...what's the construction off the external walls...single/double/cavity skin...is the walls vented...??

Ok two questions there... :LOL:

I know your going for karndean for your main floor.....but remember you will have 2 differant substrates so these will move totally differant from one another....if I was tiling I would have an exspansion gap between the two..

Speak to your karndean fitter re:this..

One question George ..

When you say renovation this property....

How old is it...what's the construction off the external walls...single/double/cavity skin...is the walls vented...??

Ok two questions there... :LOL:

1938 - Akrington brick with air bricks running along the back wall where the kitchen is. No dpc required due to structure of building. There's brick, cavity, brick so I expect that means single? The cavity is the width of a brick. Not sure what you mean by walls vented - I take it that's the air bricks? Survey said no dpc required. Thanks. :)

I know your going for karndean for your main floor.....but remember you will have 2 differant substrates so these will move totally differant from one another....if I was tiling I would have an exspansion gap between the two..

Speak to your karndean fitter re:this..

Hi, thanks. Spoke to a company called F-Ball flooring today who said just that. They suggested asphalt over the concrete and either back filling the wood side or continuing with timber over the void. They said the asphalt would be about 20mm thick so I asked if it was worth timbering over the void and then when the thickness of the asphalt meet the timber - screeding over the lot. However, that would mean the floor would not be level with the hallway when you enter the kitchen......

F Ball is who I mainly use,they also have the best advice and products on the market IMO...

But in this instance....how good and condition is the concrete floor in??

Maybe...maybe...A latex screed will be ok to run over it..so the height won't be so high....again speak to your karndean fitter before going any further..

But again I,as them..can only give advice over phone/Internet...you couldn't afford my price for a site visit... :LOL:

Re:wall construction...you have a double with cavity and air bricks as you said,so you will have good ventilation...which is very good...

F Ball is who I mainly use,they also have the best advice and products on the market IMO...

But in this instance....how good and condition is the concrete floor in??

Maybe...maybe...A latex screed will be ok to run over it..so the height won't be so high....again speak to your karndean fitter before going any further..

But again I,as them..can only give advice over phone/Internet...you couldn't afford my price for a site visit... :LOL:

Re:wall construction...you have a double with cavity and air bricks as you said,so you will have good ventilation...which is very good...

Thanks. Karndean fitter said defo go with asphalt. The concrete surface in the kitchen is slightly different to that in the utility room which is noted as an outbuilding on the survey.

The utility biulding ....did the survey say out biulding if so double check with him for a dpm...if differant colours then may not have dpm better safe than sorry George...might be damp causing discolouration..

And go with advice off your fitter,he can see it all.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back