Karndean vinyl flooring: clic vs rigid core

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to get Karndean vinyl flooring for a couple of small rooms (total of around 12 sq m) and the particular range I'm looking at (Karndea Palio) comes in a Clic variety or a Rigid Core. As I understand, the Clic is thinner and requires a specific underlay where as the Rigid Core has a thicker base and apparently does not need an underlay.

If you account for the extra cost in the underlay with the Clic then there's not a lot in it but the Clic comes out a little bit cheaper. Rigid core also has a 0.55mm wear layer vs the 0.4 of the clic.

My question is, will the Rigid Core without underlay be equivalent to the Clic with underlay in terms of comfort and quality?

(for context: it is being installed on the ground floor with a concrete subfloor. There will be an wet underfloor heating system so the actual vinyl will be on top of some self levelling compound that will be put on top of the underfloor heating pipes. One of the rooms will be an office the other will be a utility room).

Sponsored Links
Had the glue down stuff in last house, on levelling compound, was excellent. Would have again if I could afford it.

With you saying some levelling compound is going down already it would work out cheaper to have the glue down.

Sponsored Links
No idea, I paid for somebody to do it in 2013. My guess is that it would be cheaper, but no idea really!

I just had a look and the Karndean glue down tiles are cheaper but when you factor in the cost of the adhesive and underlay then they work out more expensive. With regards to the underlay, does the adhesive go on top of the underlay?

Another thing to ask, if you have a flooring trades person who is competent with carpet, laminate and tile but they have none/little experience with glue down vinyl, then how transferable would the skills be? If it is very transferrable then I wouldn't be so worried if they haven't had experience with the glue down vinyl but if it's not very transferrable then I'd be a lot more cautious.

My first joked that he wasn't very good with carpets, but we handy with a knife. I think it's a different skill really, best to have somebody with experience.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back