Keep frames but replace single glass with double glazing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The frames in my house are 1960's hardwood and in very good condition. Some are double glazed but most are single. They are nearly all non-standard sizes.

It seems a shame to replace perfectly good frames with uPVC so is it possible to keep existing window frames but replace the glass with double glazing? I assume double glazing would be substantially thicker and require the frames to be cut out in some way.

If it is possible, is it likely to make economic sense as I guess it would take a lot of time and skill to replace the glass.

Sponsored Links
You could use a step unit, this is the outer pane of glass sits where it dies at the moment and the inner pane is smaller and sits inside the frame, the unit will be 14mm thick, whether that will make much thermal difference I don't know

I had the same decision to make on the windows when I moved in my present house. I didn't really want to (or could really afford to ) change timber for pvc so I deepened the rebates and ordered double glazed units with a 14 or 16mm spacer bar and fitted them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back