Keep old 1cm fibreboard on roof or remove when re-tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning to re-slate my roof.

Currently under the slate there is an old sheet membrane that will need replacing, but there is also under that a sort of 1cm fibre board.

Is it worth me keeping this, basically as extra insulation rather than taking it all away and putting standard breathable roofing felt + the slate?

I am also planning a loft conversion in the near future too. Am I better with just breathable membrane here or as its going to be insulated on the inside between the rafters should I also keep the fibre board in place too.

Its old but its all extra protection that is already in place + essentially "free"

thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
If it were me, and I could stretch to it, I would fit continuous ridge vents as well as the breathable membrane, occasional condensation can be an issue in lofty's, even when they have a breathable membrane. They can only let so much moisture out.

Removing the fibre board is a no-brainer.

What do you have on your roof slates or tiles?

If slated how are the slates fixed? is the roof battened.

Do you have fibre board between the rafters?

Sponsored Links
What do you have on your roof slates or tiles?

If slated how are the slates fixed? is the roof battened.

Do you have fibre board between the rafters?

It is currently tiles but was originally slate (is 1850's cottage). I want to put it back to slate.

currently you have the rafters, then batterns, then the fibre board, then more batterns which the tiles hook onto.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back