Keep the SUV or go full on middle age crisis?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently drive a family SUV and love the elevated driving position, lazy driving, interior space, comfort etc. But its becoming increasingly rare that the kids (18 and 16) come out with us. Maybe 2 or 3 "long" distance trips per year. And we have a small people carrier thing (Mercedes B class) for those journeys although it's a bit of a squeeze.

So now I'm tempted to go for a high end two seater convertible for me and the Mrs to do weekends away. Love the performance and fun of what I've test driven but now I'm in a right muckin fuddle on what to do. Keep the big, comfy lux-o-barge or go for the small, fun hooligan? No idea why I'm having this conversation here but Facebook is fooked tonight so you lot get my brain dump and get to see me arguing with myself.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you go for the best of both worlds and get this

MANHART-Carbon-Widebody-Kit-Audi-RSQ8-1.jpg

MX5? More luggage room on a motorbike;
Audi TT? Bit girly;
Boxter? OMG running costs.
What’s on your mind?
John :)

So I'm looking at a BMW Z4 M40i. Reasonably quick and gets me back into a 6 cylinder petrol rather than a droning 4 cylinder diesel.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I'd keep the SUV.

Comfort, space, waftability.

What's not to like?

Why not do what we did? Stuck with the Auris tourer and bought a used 65 plate Merc SLK. I've also had MX5's and they are a lot of fun but don't like the new ones. Most fun car I ever owned was a 2000 MX5.

So I'm looking at a BMW Z4 M40i. Reasonably quick and gets me back into a 6 cylinder petrol rather than a droning 4 cylinder diesel.
Go for the BMW and get it out of your system. Fast, petrol engined cars like that aren't going to be around much longer so if you don't do it now, you'll miss your chance.

As I get older, I tend to find that the idea of the fun car starts to diverge from the reality! Back in my youth, I spent a lot of time in various TVRs. That's about as much fun as I think it is possible to have in a car (with your trousers on!) and although I haven't even SAT in one for the best part of 30 years, I do wonder whether I'd be willing to suffer as much for my "fun" nowadays as I did back then! Sure, the BMW the OP is thinking of, would be nothing like as "hardcore", but in general terms, peoples' idea of "fun" does seem to change over time, and time is great for blotting out all the bad bits...!

Alternatively go for a classic not a Euro jelly mould. Sure they're fast, but I always think you look a t*t when you floor it and end up getting stuck at the next set of lights like everyone else. I had a Mercedes S350d as a hire car with work once (no idea why!) and I quickly got bored of being able to floor it everywhere, plus I imagine it would be a massive financial liability.

With a classic however, you have the fun of working on them and learning about mechanics, showing them off, driving them and getting lots of turning heads and it's a great way of meeting people!

Well I've pushed the button and gone for the crisis. I did classics for a number of years and I've lost all interest in maintaining cars myself. But this seems like a final chance at a fun car before incoming rules on speed limiters and the switch to EVs ruin any remaining pleasure in driving. God help me.

Well I've pushed the button and gone for the crisis. I did classics for a number of years and I've lost all interest in maintaining cars myself. But this seems like a final chance at a fun car before incoming rules on speed limiters and the switch to EVs ruin any remaining pleasure in driving. God help me.
Good choice. Enjoy it :)

why would anyone want to look like a complete dork
There are people out there who don't care about what other people think.
Me for example.
If I like something and everybody else don't, why would I care?
We're humans, not sheep.

Sponsored Links
Back