Keep your mouth shut!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nice easy day today, finished my jobs for the week, so i went out to a second hand furniture place to pick up a tv cabinet for my daughters bedroom. It was the display one so it was already assembled, but due to the amount in my van i decided to take it apart to get it in. No problems only held together with cams, so out comes the drill, wizz wizz wizz, it went as they undid. wizz wizz wizz as i had my head in the cabinet, wizz wizz clunk smack. one cam got stuck, the drill span around and the 18volt battery on the end of it travelling at velocity as the other end had stopped went smack into my open mouth. OK i thought nothing hurts, oh good. whats that in my mouth, errrrrrr goes my toungue over my front tooth. This will be the front tooth which has been broken countless times during my childhood and which i finally forked out to have veneered at the cost of £500 last year. This will be the front tooth which has now had part of the veneer smashed off of it.

Now i know we are not supposed to swear but FOR ****S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Sponsored Links
But you only need to turn cam nuts about 90°. Why on earth did you use a drill :eek:

I'm not helping much am I :LOL:

TexMex said:
But you only need to turn cam nuts about 90°. Why on earth did you use a drill :eek:

I'm not helping much am I :LOL:

May be he was fitting the pins, or he's just plain crazy :p

in a rush, in the car park in the pouring rain, didnt have a screwdriver handy, just thought id use my trusty 18volt dewalt, just a little tweak of the trigger, wizz wizz wizz, no problems, until it hit the one in question. usual story, try to save time, when its easier to use the right tool in the long run.

face is now swollen, been to the dentist, got to have a crown now, so thats £500 and 6 yes 6 visits to get it all done. ho hum er in haste repent in leisure. :cry:

Sponsored Links
You have a limp wrist or what? Only teasing. Your have my deepest sympathies. Put your prices up next week to compensate.

Gcol

Gah, sounds nasty!

I have a couple of veneered teeth (if your kids skateboard, make them wear gumshields!!!) and have often wondered how much of a whack they would take... Now I know!

Still, it's a good way to test my pipe detector: I just hold it up to my mouth and the metal posts make it beep! :LOL:

Thermo said:
face is now swollen, been to the dentist, got to have a crown now, so thats £500 and 6 yes 6 visits to get it all done. ho hum er in haste repent in leisure.

hmm was there some kind of complication, when i had a crown done after i smashed one of my front teeth on the side of the pool i only had 3 visits related to the crown itlself (and one seperately related to another damaged tooth)

AdamW said:
Still, it's a good way to test my pipe detector: I just hold it up to my mouth and the metal posts make it beep! :LOL:
I had my jaw wired back together, (after having it smashed into 7 separate pieces by the front of an articulated lorry 26 years ago). Upon a recent unrelated xray, they discovered that a few loops of wire had been left behind. This finally explained why my exit sometimes sets off instore alarms, for no apparent reason. Since the wire used in the surgical procedure was never intended for permanently use, they wanted me to go in for surgery to remove it. After 26 years :eek: No thanks.

I'm no expert, but what exactly is the torque setting on a drill supposed to be for :?:

Deluks said:
I'm no expert, but what exactly is the torque setting on a drill supposed to be for :?:
They are normally from 1 - 30 torque settings which give extra power when screwing into the wood, if you want to hide the screws head into the wood then put it on a higher setting, also useful for undoing the screws. Lighter torgue setting is handy for small length screw or if the wood is soft another word it give you more torque or less for difference job need.

If Thermo drill settings was set at maximum then the result would be a complete set of false teeth, me think. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back