Keston 25

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Please can you offer me some advice regarding my 5 year old Keston celcius 25.  The casing has rusted but when engineers come to inspect the problem the boiler is always bone dry so they are unconcerned, is this normal?  Also the engineer detects gas with the sniffer in the combustion chamber when boiler is firing up, he advises this is normal with a Keston and nothing to worry about is this correct? We have a service contract but can't afford to replace the boiler at present.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Where on the chassis is the rust? Chances are it is leaking condensate.

The smell of gas is normal, but should go once the boiler is lit.

If it persists then you either have a failed seal around the fan/burner or someone has left a bolt off hen changing the fan. Probably some chimp from Keston :eek:

Don't ask how I know :evil:

Thanks Dan,

The rust is on the base of the casing all the way along, it has leaked on and off since we moved here but no one ever seems able to rectify the fault. We have been told that we now need to buy a new case as it's not safe using a rusted one. Is a leaking condensate serious and is there any reason why the engineers would be missing this problem?

With regards to the gas smell, the engineer also dectected gas during a recent visit and at first said there was a gas leak but then he phoned Keston who said that gas will be dectected when firing up but as long as there is no leak when it's off this is ok. Does this seem correct to you as I am paranoid about gas leaks now?

Many thanks

It is par for the course with these POS boilers.

The other engineers might not be looking in the right place - or it simply could not be leaking when they're looking at it.

Case replacement (by that I assume you mean the front? will depend on the extent of the rust. If they are talking about the back of the boiler then it really isn't worth the hassle.

Sponsored Links
Yes think that is part of the problem it typically always seems to be bone dry when they arrive.

Yes it is the front of the case that they say needs replacing, it is v rusty along the base.

Does the presence of gas on fire up sound normal to you then?

Thanks so much.

Yes it is normal. Don't know why, but as I said, once the boiler is up and running, the smell should fade. Otherwise you have gas being blown past a seal.

I recently took out one of these that Keston had been a7sing around with over the years. They allegedly changed the fan. well they didn't as I marked the original one on purpose. However, they did take it out. When the chimp put it back in they left a bolt out and things were very wiffy in there.

That sounds reassuring as there is no smell of gas or gas leak detected by the engineers once it is running.

What would be the implications if the condensate leak continues, rusting again or anything more sinister? I can't see how we will get it sorted if it's dry when the engineers arrive.

Thanks

Well increased rusting will eventually kill the boiler.

Also, if liquid is leaking then products of combustion will be seeping through as well.

Not a good thing. But then it is a Keston. The bar couldn't get much lower I'm afraid.

What do you mean by products of combustion, sorry for my lack of understanding?

Please can you offer me some advice regarding my 5 year old Keston celcius 25.
Throw it in a skip. You probably already know this is the best solution if you've suffered it for 5 yrs, but just to confirm there is no better advice. It will only get worse after 5yrs

Just got off the phone with a lady with one fitted in 2005. We are going to resurrect this abortion once more then hopefully they will go for a subsidised replacement.

Damn I wish I never fitted these things.

Autopsied one this weekend. have another in the workshop waiting to donate its guts to another POS that is slowly rotting internally.

Certainly don't invest any more than you need to on this and get something that will be better than this.

Thanks for all the advice it is very greatly received. I think the plan will have to be to replace the boiler as soon as is possible funds permitting but may just have to limp it on for a bit longer. We did have a quote from BG for £3700 for a replacement but will need to get some local quotes as this seems v high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back