Kestrel Eaves Guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Think I have just been ripped off yet again by roofers. Had water runing behind gutter from roof and down wall. Given quote of £350 to fit Kestrel Eaves which I understood to be secured under tiles and to each other so water run direct from roof to gutter.

They turned up 8 hours late in pouring rain and spent 45 minutes "fitting eaves", took the money and left, also quoting £550 for replacing two tiles and re rendering around the chimney stack.

Next time it rained water was leaking down wall behind gutter in 3 places and it seems the kestrel eaves had not bee secured in any way to the roof or each other just tucked under the tiles and laid loose in the gutter

I am not a roofer but an old painter and if fit enough would like to get up and do a proper job. I can leave them a lousy feedback on Mybuilder where I found them but where the hell can I find a decent roofer or gutter repairer in South East London who wont rip me off ? This is the third time it has happened with roofers, no other trade. Company called LM Doe of London and Devon.

So am I right, they should be fixed to the roof and each other and was £350 a rip off for 45 minutes work for one man working and one watching ? I attach two pics so you can see the "workmanship".

Attachments

• IMG_20210811_085810.jpg
    IMG_20210811_085810.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20210811_085758 (2).jpg
    IMG_20210811_085758 (2).jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 150
Sponsored Links
Hmmm, London and Devon eh? That must mean they "travel" between the two. :cautious:

Those are eaves trays or felt support trays, 'Kestrel' is just the make, but yes they should be fixed to prevent what you have there happening, but that involves removing the tiles and more time and effort. Also, the felt may well be rotten and ripped under the tiles, and if so that could allow water to leak down the wall as you are experiencing even after the trays are fitted

The trays are about £2 each, so yes you have been scammed.

Cement fibre / asbestos slate .
They take time to get out and refit.
The support trays are a joke . There people out there that will not rip you off.

Have you asked them to correct the works ?

Cement fibre / asbestos slate .
They take time to get out and refit.
The support trays are a joke . There people out there that will not rip you off.

Have you asked them to correct the works ?

I asked for them to come back and do it properly or I will leave them a negative feedback with all the info on the rip off and report them to trading standards & my money back. They have agreed to come back Friday and "put it right" although it needs to be done again not "put right " I found a load of plastic strips where it seems they had cut the supports so they could just slip them under the tiles rather than lift them and fix them to the eaves. I am learning lot about guttering and roofers rip offs. Never had a roofer who hasnt tried it.

Sponsored Links
You're not the only one.

I came across this recently. Working on the house at the bottom of the photo (fitting eaves trays :rolleyes:), the adjoining house at the top of the photo had had the usual "Clean your gutter squire? Oh, and how about something to stop the gutters blocking and you need your felt replacing ... but we can fit these new plastic trays at much cheaper cost" people around previously.

You can see that the gutters are still blocked (and you should see the path below). But what do you reckon about the eaves trays? :cautious:

upload_2021-8-11_23-8-1.png

Anyone got a photo of the trays fitted properly so I can show them what they need to do before I agree to the job being OK ? Thanks

You need to take 2 or 3 rows of tiles of to do job properly, I think my roofer took 3 hours to do front and back properly.

I had them fitted to support the sarking really but the do guide the water into the gutters.

If you thing about how the water runs down your roof you are probably worse of now with them badly fitted..

To be fair , no water should be on the top of the felt..
The trays are wrong, it's going to take some time to remove this roof covering and replace properly.
Interlocking tiles are one thing .. these in this case are no joke

Don’t have them back, they will try to lift up those natural slate tiles and break them as they will be solid. you just need to put it down to a bad choice of roofer and get someone else out.

you said “ripped off yet again” implying you had a similar experience. These mybuilder sites are a load of shyte, false reviews and fly by night roofers. A decent roofer who doesn’t need to advertise will be booked up for months.

Get recommendations from friends or neighbours and spend a bit of time getting 3 quotes and 3 lots of advice. Don’t have the work done until you’ve had a written quote and you’ve signed a contract.
Good luck.

you said “ripped off yet again” implying you had a similar experience. These mybuilder sites are a load of shyte, false reviews and fly by night roofers. A decent roofer who doesn’t need to advertise will be booked up for months.

Of course there are the fake reviews, but there is a massive problem with reviews by people who don't know how to review anything and base their assessment on arbitrary criteria. "Turned up in a clean and tidy van - 5 stars", "While he was up there he noticed 20 other broken tiles which I could not see - 5 stars", "Said it would take 2 days but did it in one for the same price - 5 stars".

Same on Amazon - "I've not used the thing yet, but the box looks impressive - 5 stars"

Even ebay - "Arrived on time and as described - 5 stars" - yes, but that is the base standard expected not exceptional service!

I've worked with landlords and companies that have tried to rely on customer feedback surveys instead of sending out inspectors for post-completion quality checks. In all cases this has been a complete failure as the customer has no clue about the standards that the work should be done to. Splices that have just been white primed were deemed finished and great work, doors not hung properly, pipes not connected or fixed properly, plaster not flat, skirting not knotted, frames not caulked you name it. And yes roofing work - how is a resident expected to inspect roofing work?

The whole premise of reviews is flawed, as its just the biased views of an unqualified person, and only serves to favour the company getting further customers and not customers choosing a company to use.

The problem is if you are not knowledgable about the trade how do you leave feedback or choose a tradesperson I am OK with mos trades and havew told peoples to leave after an hour or so when I can see they are toshing or doing a rubbish job. Bur roofing is a problem as you generally cannot see what work is being done at the time In my case I got a retired roofer to take a look after the job and it was rubbish. This time I checked on line about fitting the eave protectors and came on this site but how can you get a decent roofer? I tried a so called reputable firm, member of a professional organisation, and was quoted £700 for fixing the protectors to less than 5 metres of guttering. Can't win

Dont rush, font take online reviews as gospel .. even mum's love roofers . Your retired mate must know another that's still working ??? No?

I've repaired some horrific work over the years where customers have paid good money and got a bad job.

Word of mouth is best way to find a good tradesman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back