KETTLE SUDDENLY KEEPS TRIPPING MAIN FUSE BOX

Sponsored Links
maybe opening the plug enabled the damp to dry out

or maybe it was the base that was wet, and dried out during the job.

maybe there was a loose whisker inside the plug

but without knowing if it was an RCD or an MCB that tripped, who knows?

I then tried it at work and with the socket off I switched the kettle itself on and 3 times it tripped the mains power.
I know this is a old and dead posting, but quote above reminded me that taking out a company power system by testing your personal faulty kettle is likely a quick way to get dismissed.

trip the fuse everytime it is turned on
OK a fuse ruptures it does not trip, so MCB, RCD, or RCBO.
started to trip the electric even though the socket is switched off. I phoned Morphy Richards who told me that is impossible.
In this case seems likely a RCD or RCBO.
other day found it through having the same issue with my kettle.. but all solved by just changing the fuse in the plug!
Seems unlikely a kettle can trip a RCD, RCBO or MCB because of a faulty fuse.
Its a moulded plug but in no way is it water or vapourproof.

There's a fuse in it with a pull out section, you can get all sorts in there but do as suggested. Skip for the kettle then skip down to Dyas and get yourself a nice new one. :LOL:
Seems the idea of a fault due to dirt in fuse was raised.

However what is the point of considering that after 13 years? Likely even the replacement has be replaced now.

Sponsored Links
Can see how changing a plug fuse will fix an earth leakage fault.
Hi, i don't pretend to know anything much about electrics .. no idea if there was an earth leakage or not. I just had the same problem as others had reported which seemed to be solved by changing the plug fuse .. ‍♀️

However what is the point of considering that after 13 years? Likely even the replacement has be replaced now.
Dare I admit...
I met Mrs Sunray in 1992, at that time we both had our own home, including kettle.

Both of those kettles are still in use, not daily in the kitchen but on ocassional outings for work and camping etc.

The missus had the same prob. I had a look............. she had forgotten to say that she put the base in the washing bowl, which just happened to be FULL OF WATER, as she filled the kettle up. Sure enough, a hair dryer session later, and it's worked since.
Happens a lot here in the training centre when you ask a student to put the kettle on!

I suppose our kettles will also last a long time, we got cup boilers upload_2022-3-8_12-45-29.png we have three although only two in use, so during adverts two cups of coffee easy made in time, result kettle only used when starting a new home brew, around once every 21 days in Winter, stop brewing in summer. So boiled about 12 times a year, so yes should last some time, specially in soft water area.

As for dropping some thing hot into cooler water, and air contracts, and it sucks in water, it is really surprising how long it takes to dry out again, have still found water dripping out when warmed up, a month after dropped in to water.

Hi, i don't pretend to know anything much about electrics .. no idea if there was an earth leakage or not. I just had the same problem as others had reported which seemed to be solved by changing the plug fuse .. ‍♀️
Can see how changing a plug fuse will fix an earth leakage fault.
Ok. I give up.. New kettle it is. Problem returned a day later. And I don't think I had even tried to use it last night but noticed - before I tried it this morning - that it had happened again - tripped the "test frequently" switch on the main control board...which did not throw out ALL the electrics - just fridge and boiler in the kitchen (not the electric cooker), and the TV and lights in the front room. Everything else stayed on. No idea. Do I have a more serious problem the should be looked at do you think?

The kettle has an earth fault. That is what had tripped the main switch. the kettle probably needs a new element, but probably easier to send it to the recycle Gods and buy a new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back