Circuit tripping VO ELCB

So I asked the electrician whether testing of circuits will be done before the installation and he said normally he doesn't, only once CU is installed.

I would suggest that you insist on it, it is an old installation and borrowed neutrals were much more common back then. Easier to find it at the beginning, than later when all is done and tripping.

Sponsored Links
He only has one lighting circuit, so I don't think that will be an issue :D

We do think one circuit is faulty however, and that is likely to be off until the fault is found

He only has one lighting circuit, so I don't think that will be an issue :D

We do think one circuit is faulty however, and that is likely to be off until the fault is found

How do you know that "he only has one lighting circuit" ?

Sponsored Links
Post 4 has a picture of the fusebox
Yeah there's only one circuit. If they're currently connected into one fuse then it would be good to split them onto two RCBOs, but if not then a little more challenging I guess (can't see where in the house where the cables go to the loft). Maybe one to separate when I have work done upstairs next year.
I may start a new thread at some point as I want a some circuits and some split out when I do garage conversion works and upstairs adjusments and it would be good to get some initial opinions everyone been really helpful (y)

Any downside to PME over TT if they're set up in the area for it? I'm having DP RCBOs on every circuit.

That's a bit of a giveaway:notworthy:, for some reason pictures either don't appear or are very slow to load. I've looked at this thread at least six times and that's the first I've seen that photo.

Amazingly the E5 group seam to want to go away from PME.

You may as well stick to the first plan as you don’t have time to mess about

Amazingly the E5 group seam to want to go away from PME.
I'm not sure about "amazingly". As far as I can see, TN-C-S is, in the majority of senses, a cheaper (for DNOs) but inferior alternative to TN-S, particularly when it results from 'conversion' from a failed TN-S sheath.

As I see it, near all the 'features' of TN-S are 'downsides', primarily relating to the oft-discussed (albeit rare) potentially serious consequences which can arise if the CNE conductor of a TN-C-S supply develops a fault.

If there is any 'upside', I suppose it is probably 'more reliable' in some senses (hence cheaper to maintain) - in that, although potentially serious when it does happen, loss of a TN-C-S CNE is probably much rarer than malfunction/loss of a TN-S sheath.

It wouldn't be quite so bad if the 'M' of 'PME' meant "many" as well as "multiple" (which I used to think it did mean!), but I gather that (particularly in 'conversions' from TN-S) it often only has one earth (at the end of the cable run) in addition to the primary earth at the transformer.

I may be wrong, but I think there are some countries in which TN-C-S is outlawed?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back