Problem with Fuse Box.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When a light popped in the kitchen last week the safety trip in the fuse box for the downstairs lights tripped.

Surprisingly the lights downstairs did not go off. I reset the switch but i was ready to change a light upstairs and when i isolated the upstairs light by tripping the switch the have stayed on. the only way to put the power off is to turn the main supply off.

Anyone any ideas??

Sponsored Links
No they are on whatever way the switch is set. Everything on the RCD protected side are fine (sockets, cooker etc) and switch off no problem but lights aren't

What I think ricicle means is someone has labelled the consumer unit up correctly.
On the other hand, you say you can't isolate the upstairs lights at all without turning off the whole board? Even if you turn off all your MCBs? Sounds like someone has done something severely wrong if this is the case, phone for an electrician immediately.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:pic1

Sponsored Links
They have been working fine for the five years since i moved in (new home). Jst seemed to have happened since a light went in the kitchen last week.

:confused:

Working fine & being connected safe & correctly, can be two different things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back