Dodgy Fuse Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved in to a 1970's house and someone has swopped some of the rewirable fuses for plug in trip type switches in the old style fuse box.(brown plastic/ bakealite type) is anyone old enough to remember bakealite?
There is one 30amp trip for the cooker
There are two 15amp trips one that seems to do the upstairs ring main and the other does the downstairs ring main.
The downstairs one keeps tripping out if we have a few things on ie. tv, washing machine, fridge/freezer then if we boil the kettle as this switches it self off the trip goes, it does he same when the toaster pops up or the microwave finishes its time. This trip also buzzes like mad when you reset it but stops if you give it a tap.
The next two trips are 5amps each and do the upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits.
Lastly there is a 5amp original rewirable fuse which doesn't seem to do anything.
Can any one tell me what the correct fuse/trip ratings should be.
Should i change back to fuses or are trips better.
Please help if you can as i am constantly having to reset everything after i've made a cup of tea.

Sponsored Links
IMO the best advice is to get a PIR (periodic inspection report) carried out by a competent spark, it is not advisable to have all this load on a single 15A circuit, a final ring circuit is normally fused at 30A/32A. The MCB doesn't sound healthy either. All this in mind, do not under any circumstance swop the MCB for a larger one without it being checked out by a spark first. Even changing back to a fuse of the same size is a no-no as it will still be overloaded.

Edit: It is advisable to have all sockets on RCD protection, the iee regs call for any socket reasonably expected to supply equipment outdoors to be RCD protected. A PIR should highlight this.

I haven't a clue, your best bet will probably be to ask neighbours and friends for recommendations for sparks. You may also be better off looking for one who is a member of a competent person scheme such as NAPIT, ELECSA, NICEIC, ECA etc who can carry out the work without you worrying about building regs etc.

Sponsored Links
cheersMate. Looks like i'll have to spend some money Do you know what the fuse / trip sizes would be in a correct installation.

For things like showers or cookers the size of MCB will vary for loading, Final ring socket circuits are normally 32A, radial socket circuits can be 32A or 20A/16A depending on cable size. A 32A ring shouldn't feed in excess of 100sq meters of floor space, a 32A radial 75sq meters of floor space and a 20A radial 50sq meters floor space. Lighting 6A or 10A again depending on the cable sizes and lamp sizes/types. Immersion heaters are normally 16A. Your spark will be able to tell you what type of wiring systems you already have when he does the PIR.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back