Keyboard recommendation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the time has come for a new keyboard. There's nothing wrong with my current one - YET - but I reckon it's time to pre-empt the inevitable... 3 years of spilling drinks, crumbs and fag ash (not any more - i've now quit!) into it must have taken their toll.

I have, however, fairly specific requirements for the replacement. I do NOT want wireless (I have a distrust of anything wireless, not least because of the battery consumption). It has to be black, to match the rest of the system. And most importantly, it has to have a ROTARY volume control. This is because once a month I take my PC and use it to DJ at the local pub. A "press-up-press-down" volume control just wouldn't do.

Attached is a very poor quality photo of the current one (my camera's hopeless at close-ups), but it shows the kind of volume control I require.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

(before anyone says the obvious, yes I have contacted Dell to see if I can get a straight like-for-like, but being 3 years on it's discontinued, and guess what, the new version doesn't have rotary volume...)

ScreenHunter_33.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm not clear why you want to replace something that isn't presenting any fault.

Almost all PC keyboards have a synthetic membrane covering (and protecting) the contacts, so it's unlikely that your occasional drips and crumbs are having any effect at all.

or why not by another of the same?

mate had an all singing all dancing (no lights) keyboard, did all sorts, he binned it becuse to do the all singing all dancing it useda ot of memory

Softus said:
I'm not clear why you want to replace something that isn't presenting any fault.
Because although it's not entirely my livelihood, it's a big part of my social life, and I'm acutely aware that it's 3 years old and has been neglected.

Like I said, the entire system is carted to the pub once a week and I cannot imagine the embarrasment if the rotary volume packed up halfway through one of my DJ sets.

Regardless of the above, the other reason I want to replace it is that I've kicked the fags - spending £20-£30 on a new keyboard is easily justifyable when i tell myself that the current one is full of fag ash (which it is) and that i would have spent £30 on fags in less than 2 weeks.......

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
I did try, but as I already said,

(before anyone says the obvious, yes I have contacted Dell to see if I can get a straight like-for-like, but being 3 years on it's discontinued, and guess what, the new version doesn't have rotary volume...)

ninebob said:
Softus said:
Because although it's not entirely my livelihood, it's a big part of my social life, and I'm acutely aware that it's 3 years old and has been neglected.

Like I said, the entire system is carted to the pub once a week and I cannot imagine the embarrasment if the rotary volume packed up halfway through one of my DJ sets.
Aha - that makes perfect sense. :)

I'll keep my eyes open for one.

Hi, before I go into work mode, heres a link for you:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/features/comforttopics/GB/EN,CRID=2075,CONTENTID=9477

Now then, keyboards can take a huge amount of abuse, mine has been treated no better than yours, fag ash, beer, coffee etc. I agree that if you depend on it for work - i.e. it is mission critical, then yes you do very much need to be sure your equipment is up to it, however, have you considered that since a volume control is mechanical - and mechanical things tend to give up at the most inconvenient times, that even a new keyboard might do it to you? Have you considered taking both (once you get a new one!).
Have you also considered that your pc may also "pack up" without notice? Have you considered a laptop rather than lugging your pc around? Of course in an ideal world you would have 2 - one as a backup but of course we cant all afford / justify a spare of everything, but if these events are as important as they sound, then I'd have a serious think about a backup plan.
Just a couple things for your consideration.

ninebob said:
breezer said:
I did try, but as I already said,

sorry, you did, and i missed it :oops:

i'll get my coat

eggplant said:

An excellent link, and indeed an excellent keyboard, including a perfect-looking rotary volume control. However, it's wireless, which I said in my original post that I didn't want.

However, am I being too paranoid? My concern is that I've heard stories about wireless keyboards/mice being disturbed by mobiles/bluetooth etc etc - and where is my usage most critical - in a pub where everyone has a phone!

I guess I have the comfort that my current, wired keyboard is showing no signs of dying, I'm just being pre-emptive - I could buy, and try, the logitech cordless one and carry the old one as a backup....

Have you considered a laptop rather than lugging your pc around?

Yes, but I can't even nearly afford one that's the same spec as my desktop Dell. As well as mixing the music, my PC runs the visuals on the pub screens and projectors, in time with the music which looks very polished. It's only possible, however, because I have a PC with a very fast (3.06Ghz) processor, a good sound card, and a superb graphics card which has lots of memory and supports multiple outputs.

Buying that PC nearly bankrupted me, and as my current financial situation stands, to buy a laptop of similar spec (if it even exists) would cost at least £2000, and my bank balance is much more like 2000p!!!

Another couple of weeks without the fags will cover it!

Hi,

Apologies for linking to a wireless k/b I'm sure I searched for a cabled one!
I wouldnt be too concerned about interference, I setup quite a few presentations/conferences - thats what our parent company does - our company does pure IT, and havnt yet had a problem with mobiles - we use logitech cordless presenters which run un the same band as their keyboards and mice.
You dont say what software you are using for the actual display, but as far as driving projectors/lcd's/plasmas etc goes, the output from a lappy's svga is identical to your desktop - DVI on lappys isnt common. If uplinking (thats an IT term not an AV term!!) the video equipment isnt an option and you require more than one physical video out on the pc/lappy, you can get a distribution amp should using a splitter reduce video quality.
As for the sound, I assume you are using just a standard PA or inhouse PA for the audio? if so then having an audigy 4 or an XFI will be pretty much wasted.
I would imagine a lappy can do what you want - just something to bear in mind for the future.
Again, back to the original question, check logitechs site, they may have a similar k/b thats cabled, and logitechs stuff is decent.

thats a cool idea - take the wheel out of a mouse, stick it on its side with a wheel on top, bit of software and sell it !

Would be ideal in this case though....

It is also possible to get mixing desks for USB, I don't know much about this type of stuff but the lads over on blue room might be able to help. One thing I liked the look of is http://www.etcetera.co.uk/products/HER102.shtml. Bit more pricey at £180 than the £20 for the new keyboard though oops, I don't even know if it will do what you want.

Sponsored Links
Back