Killing Ants (or thereabouts)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi folks,

My father has been trying to kill Ants that live in his cobbled drive way for as long as I can remember. They have always been there, longer than me anyway. At certain times of the year they sprout wins and become a real nasty nuisance.

My Dad is 80-something and a bit poorly now. And the Ants are starting to invade the porch now. So my folks are rightly concerned about them making forays into the house. So I need to kick them out of the porch at the very least.

The porch is <1m sq, with old red ceramic tiles and a triple glazed sliding door to the exterior and a wooden hall door to the interior. The grouting between the tiles has perished in a few places and that needs sorting - so I am assuming they are getting in that way at least some of the time.

Any recommendations on how to treat these?

Ray K

Sponsored Links
Nippon Gel (liquid)

in a small tube like a toothpaste tube.

Not the powder.

It is a sugary poison that is so delicious they carry it back to the nest to share with their friends, and the whole nest is killed.

You put a few drops on a non-absorbent material such as a coin, and spread several around the nest and the paths they like to track. Renew daily.

It will probably take less than a week.

You do not need to put it in the nest

They will be washed away by rain or cleaning, and clogged by dust, so need replacing.

You can leave several in the porch and under the doorstep ready for any new ants that find their way in.

thumb400_Nippon_ant_Liquid1473694694.png

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/nippon-ant-killer-liquid-30ml

Nippon also do them in little bait stations, less messier than the gel and you can just leave them for a couple of weeks, nest should be gone by then

Sponsored Links
Get a kettle of boiling water over the nest, leave the stragglers to the bait station.

the more ants that are carrying the bait back to the nest, the quicker the nest will be killed.

so you want more ants, not fewer, during the poisoning.

I use boric acid mixed with honey.

Like Nippon, they eat/take the poison back to the nest/queen and they all die

It is very effective

I have tried all the various methods above that work on black ants but have had no luck getting rid of red ants, Whilst boiling water will do it it kills the grass and roots so an unsightly patch on the grass, any ideas?

Boric acid is useful, I just fill the cracks with it, they then carry it back on their bodies to the nest. much safer than organophosphates. In honey they will feed it to their young and the colony collapses.
You can buy it by the kilo from ebay will last for months, but one of the sellers stuffs it into a very full ziplock back straight into an envelope, often opens in transit.

Mike,
Have tried it before but without the honey so probably where i was going wrong, Will give it a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links