killing grass and weeds with a mulch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

At the moment part of my garden is taken up with grass, and weeds (nothing serious, I don't think). I'd like to kill this area off over the winter in preparation for some landscaping work in the spring. I'd really rather avoid weedkillers, so I'm thinking of some kind of mulch for over the winter. Has anyone on here done that successfully? If so, what did you use (landscape fabric? plastic? carpet? cardboard? etc)? How long did it take to kill off what was covered up?

Thanks!

wrathkeg

Sponsored Links
I've used all of these and tarpaulins too on allotments. They all work, basically anything that excludes light will do the job. The only one I wouldn't use again is carpet, horrid stuff. If all you've got is lawn-type grass and annual weeds, they'll die off pretty quickly once you cover them, certainly in time for Spring digging. If you've got tougher stuff like couch grass, the roots are likely to still need pulling out. In my experience, you can cover it for years and it will still re-grow from the smallest sliver! Under impermeable covers like plastic, it can get a bit slimy and smelly but it doesn't matter.

Thanks! I think I'll give a large roll of woven fabric a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back