Killing Weeds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a new house and found one corner of the garden very overgrown, it would appear that the previous owner had a vegetable patch there about 10 years ago. I have dug out off the overgrown weeds etc and left the patch of bare earth ready for turfing/slabbing when time allows.

The problem is that slowly but surely the weeds are starting to grow back through. Is there weedkiller etc that can be used on the bare soil to stop this re-growth? or is the answer just to go back out and dig it all over again?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
BluePhase said:
Is there weedkiller etc that can be used on the bare soil to stop this re-growth?

yes

try looking in a garden centre etc

if you dont want anything to grow for 6 months to a year you use a simazine weedkiller (pathclear)
Sodium Chlorate was the original total weedkiller but it leached sideways and could also be used to make explosives so an additive was put in it to try to prevent its oxygenating atributes.
I can remember as a child when someone had put sodium chlorate all over his garden then one day after a hot dry spell he threw his fagend down on the garden and all the dead grass and weeds burst into flames with an almighty woosh.

If the weeds are annuals no problems you can just dig them in. If they are perennials you should try to dig the roots out.

Sponsored Links
if it's going to be bare for a length of time why not put an old carpet/black bags over it to keep the light out and kill anything that tries to grow? gotta be better than poisoning the patch.... maybe?

If you're just digging it over - then that's your problem. You need to dig the plant out of the ground, roots an' all.

If they are slowly returning, this could be due to other plants dropping seeds in that patch, a natural thing to happen in a garden.

Left unattended, they multiply. If you want a weed-free garden, the only way to do it is to dig the weeds out of the garden by hand. Yes, you can use weedkiller for paths or grass weeds, but any plant is a weed if you don't want it there. If you have an 'English Country Garden' then you could end up killing all of your plants!

Throwing a bag over it is a good idea - no light = no growth.

Thanks for all replies

I have a piece of dampfroof membrane left over from another job which will cover the area nicely, probably a bit safer for the dog aswell.

Thanks again

BP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back