Killings of off-duty Military personel.

Does Ella actually contribute anything to discussions other than deriding people?

He does, but it's just his way of throwing a sandal.

Mind you, he ain't half gone through some sandals over the years. :LOL:

Sounds more like throwing his dummy out of the pram.

I try not to be offensive to people, but am quite happy to respond in kind if necessary. :D

Sponsored Links
yes I think it is part of our nature to try for more, for better and we evolved to do that and so did our enemy. to deny that is to deny being human at all ..../. there has never been a point in history where man has not killed for gain even though every death is a loss innocent or not, and there never WILL be a time when man doesn't wage wars against each other.

So, if we accept cajar conclusion, then can we include the control of the laws, customs and culture as part of man's desire to own or control all resources?

By controlling the laws, customs and standards of whatever land you happen to be in, you are then controlling the standards of all and any transactions, interactions, etc, i.e. you are denying, in effect, the right of the strong to take from the weaker by whatever means they have at their disposal. Perhaps the weaker have joined together as part of a unified defence against the stronger.

I think it was Hobbes (Thomas) the philosopher and sociologist who suggested that human nature is to behave as self-interested cooperation.
In my mind, that means that men/groups/communities pursue their own self-interest.
If the government of the UK evolved from the "ruling class" then those laws were passed in their self-interest.

Purely from extrapolation, then societies, communities, nations are all pursuing their own self-interest.

Is there really any morality in this world, or is it all make believe from some historical legacy of self-interested parties making the rules (because they could) to suit their own ends?

So, strength through unity.

If there is no morality, then there is no god(s) so the religious excuses that we all exploit, for our own purposes, are purely man-made. All we are doing is pursuing own self-interest and trying to hoodwink the populace into believing we're "doing the right thing", "behaving morally".

Sponsored Links
I've not been following this post so apologies if I repeat something already said.

When the Twin Towers and the center of London were attacked then we had to retaliate, the Japanese did the same some 70 years ago, there is a saying, leave sleeping dogs lie, some cultures obviously don't quite grasp this....

If we are attacked we WILL retaliate..

I've not been following this post so apologies if I repeat something already said.

When the Twin Towers and the center of London were attacked then we had to retaliate, the Japanese did the same some 70 years ago, there is a saying, leave sleeping dogs lie, some cultures obviously don't quite grasp this....

I think the Americans are quite willing to retaliate. As for us, well, we are very good at making excuses for them!

Glad you joined the party.

Retaliate - like for like, counter-attack, respond.

Which came first: the chicken or the egg?

Is an armed attempt at regime change a reasonable response? Or continued civilian injuries and deaths a reasonable response. Especially from nations that claim to be acting "morally".

If it's all-out-war including women and children, then lets admit to that. Not continue to claim that we are acting responsibly and only in retaliation! Or is it really all-out-war and truth has become the real casualty?
If so, let's wake up and smell the coffee instead of being blindly led by deceitful politicians.

I don't belive that this is the case.
I believe our politicians are attempting to respond, in a limited way, to a situation. I don't think they're doing a particularly good job and I don't agree with their response, in this war-on-terror, war-on-drugs, regime-change, introduction-of-democracy, educating-women, or whatever other lable is used. Killing of innocent women and children is not a limited, reasonable, sensible or civilised response that will reduce the circle of violence.
It's simply a method of killing without endangering the lives of our military. Thus avoiding the possibility of the conflict becoming unpopular due to our own casualties.

I'm not sure if it was Nelson Mandela, it was a SA in the context of Apartheid, who said that: "for the people without a voice, violence is the only response", something like that.
It seems to me that we are killing those without a voice, or at least those with a very quiet voice on the world stage, who are not being heard, thus ensuring the perpetuality of violence.
An argument taken up by Greg Barns in discussing various minorities, such as aborigines, prisoners, asylum-seekers, political prisoners, etc.
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/167404.html
Noam Chomsky discusses it also (just found it, gonna have a read).
http://www.chomsky.info/debates/19671215.htm

Interesting observation by Noam Chomsky:
"There's also a third argument in favor of violence which on the surface sounds pretty abhorrent, but I'm afraid it has a point, from the point of view of the revolutionary guerrilla groups. That is the idea that violence, say by the Viet Cong, will lead to reprisal, often overreprisal, and reprisal will win adherents to the Viet Cong. Of course, that's what happens, in fact. The first year of the massive American bombardment of South Vietnam, the number of recruits for the Viet Cong increased enormously, tripled at least. "
Perhaps this most accrurately describes our (western democracies) response to acts of terror. We are acting in the interests of the so-called "terrorists" by indiscriminately killing innocent civilians, thereby increasing the recruitment of their adherents. Moreover, we are placing our off-duty military personnel in the line of fire whilst they are off-duty.

And if we don't retaliate they assume we are weak and walk all over us, if they use knives we use guns, if they use guns we use tanks, if they use tanks long story short version, Nuke them!!!!

And if we don't retaliate they assume we are weak and walk all over us, if they use knives we use guns, if they use guns we use tanks, if they use tanks long story short version, Nuke them!!!!

Response to Noam Chomsky by Hannah Arendt: (same article as mentioned) "Moralistic attitudes in politics tend to provide moral justifications for crimes, quite apart from leading into pseudoidealistic enterprises which are obviously to the detriment of the intended beneficiaries...."
and
Tolsty's prediction referred to by Noam Chomsky (same article): interesting essay that was written in 1897 called "The Beginning of the End" [audience laughter] in which he points out that until recently men could not imagine a human society without slavery. Similarly, one cannot imagine the life of man without war. "...
and
An Einstein quote (same article): "who was once asked his opinion about the nature of a third world war and replied that he had nothing to say about that matter, but that he was quite certain that the fourth world war would be fought with clubs and stones."

Perhaps we should all try to think a little further forward (and a little more historically ) than our intial reflex to violence.

If I were to add a possible explanation for our governments minimsing of the effects of our violence by such use as "collateral damage", etc, and the alternative use of 'their' violence, is a way of avoiding the potential backlash against war, conflict and its associated violence, such as occurred during other conflicts, most notably the Vietnam War.
Indeed Noam Chomsky says that ".../ clearly violence antagonizes the uncommitted. And what we want to do is not antagonize them, but attract them to, involve them in, ..../"

Perhaps that is why we are subjected to the propoganda and persudaed that our violent actions are justified.

Conor Cruise O'Brien (same article):
"I think there is a distinction between the use of terror by oppressed peoples against the oppressors and their servants, in comparison with the use of terror by their oppressors in the interests of further oppression."

These people have been fighting amongst themselves for thousands of years, the problem is we have educated them and they now have means to annihilate each other with modern weapons, mark my words if something isn't done they will bring their ongoing civil war to our streets in the future....

If it's all-out-war including women and children, then lets admit to that.

Killing of innocent women and children is not a limited, reasonable, sensible or civilised response that will reduce the circle of violence.

We are acting in the interests of the so-called "terrorists" by indiscriminately killing innocent civilians.

A recurring theme throughout your post: aren't we naughty, killing all those defenceless women and children? :rolleyes:

When cowardly people llike the taliban make a practice of hiding behind women and children, I'm afraid it's inevitable that women and children will get hurt. I'm sure our forces do not indiscriminately kill innocent civilians, but 'collateral damage' is bound to happen in these circumstances.

These people have been fighting amongst themselves for thousands of years /....

We have been fighting amongst ourselves ever since history began. Let's not blame it on anyone else.

the problem is we have educated them and they now have means to annihilate each other with modern weapons,
You mean we've shown them how to produce WMD? Why did we have it in the first place?

they will bring their ongoing civil war to our streets /....
Didn't we take our war to them?

A recurring theme throughout your post: aren't we naughty, killing all those defenceless women and children? /........

Interesting observation by Noam Chomsky:
"There's also a third argument in favor of violence which on the surface sounds pretty abhorrent, but I'm afraid it has a point, from the point of view of the revolutionary guerrilla groups. That is the idea that violence, say by the Viet Cong, will lead to reprisal, often overreprisal, and reprisal will win adherents to the Viet Cong. Of course, that's what happens, in fact. The first year of the massive American bombardment of South Vietnam, the number of recruits for the Viet Cong increased enormously, tripled at least. "

Incidentally, the discussion mentioned above took place in 1967, I think. It's obvious that we have learned little since then.
Are we so stupid to think that we can demoralise our enemy by killing their women and children and claim a moral victory?
How do we respond when our women and children are killed?
Is it remotely sensible to respond like-for-like?

Sponsored Links
Back