kingspan in loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I'am going to install some velux rooflights and a floor in the loft of my bungalow, can anyone advise as to the thickness of kingspan between the rafters which are 50x75mm.
Thanking you in advance

:?:

Sponsored Links
Hi all
I'am going to install some velux rooflights and a floor in the loft of my bungalow, can anyone advise as to the thickness of kingspan between the rafters which are 50x75mm.
Thanking you in advance
:?:

Use the rolls much easier to work with and as much as will fit.

Sponsored Links
t
Thanks Dan as its a bungalow would they (Building Control) also require insulation in the new floor?

If this is a pukka job involving Building Control then I expect you will need to submit plans and specs. If you are creating a habitable space then the size of the joists under your new floor will be an issue and 75mm insulation between rafters may not be thick enough to meet insulation requirements.
You may also need a vapour barrier on the outside of the insulation.

If, however, you are just doing your own thing then get on and do it, but be aware that a future buyer may need to see building and planning permissions.

You can't pick at bits of Building Regs that you want, you either go the whole way or you don't bother....your shout.

andytw

Hi allI'am going to install some velux rooflights and a floor in the loft of my bungalow, can anyone advise as to the thickness of kingspan between the rafters which are 50x75mm.
The real answers that you won't like are:

A likely insulation thickness for the roof would be 150mm with a 50mm air gap above the insulation.
The floor will require substantial structural alterations before it can be used as a habitable room. Putting insulation in it is the least of your problems.
Despite what advertisements might imply, shoving a couple of Velux windows in your roof does not make a loft conversion.

SNM";p="2451232 said:
What's this gotta do with plumbing ? :confused:[/quote
Your quite right SMN I'v posted in the wrong forum sorry!]

Hi allI'am going to install some velux rooflights and a floor in the loft of my bungalow, can anyone advise as to the thickness of kingspan between the rafters which are 50x75mm.

A likely insulation thickness for the roof would be 150mm with a 50mm air gap above the insulation.
The floor will require substantial structural alterations before it can be used as a habitable room. Putting insulation in it is the least of your problems.
Despite what advertisements might imply, shoving a couple of Velux windows in your roof does not make a loft conversion.
I do like your reply! Why do'nt Building Regs state what is required rather than u/values with so many combinations?

I do like your reply! Why do'nt Building Regs state what is required rather than u/values with so many combinations?

Becasue the objective is to achieve a U (or R) value. This could be done with Kingspan, Celotex, mineral wool, sheeps wool, paper fibre, foam and no doubt many many other products. It would be too complex to list all the options in building regs.

andytw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back