Kingspan TF70 supporting weight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had our garage converted into a usable room last year. The builder used Kingspan TF70 100mm to insulate and raise the garage floor to the same height as the reset of the house. He's then over-boarded this with tongue and grove chipboard panels. I was under the impression a floating floor should have a wood frame/joists with insulation panels between. I've just lifted two of the chipboard panels so that i could adjust some pipework to move the radiator to another wall. It appears there's no frame underneath the chipboard panels so effectively the Kingspan insulation boards are taking the weigh. The chipboard panels have been glued together and are lying on top of the Kingspan. Is this acceptable or has he done a cowboy job on me?

At the moment the only heavy items in the room is a large computer desk and chair. While there is no evidence of sagging/levelling issues at the moment i am worried about how much weight these insulation boards can support. I was intending of putting a large 4 foot aquarium (potentially 1/2 ton in weight) in this room!

Sponsored Links
You can lay a concrete floor on Kingspan, never mind chipboard.

If your aquarium has legs, I'd consider timber bearers to spread the spot load under the feet a bit.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back