kitchen appliance / switched fused spur / regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The kitchen of my house, built 1995, has four switched fused spurs for major electrical appliances, each with a fused connection unit (FCU) mounted above the worktop and socket or cable outlet behind the appliance as appropriate.

I am contemplating upgrading the wiring accessories to the ABB / Busch-Jaeger Elektro "alpha bs" range. Pervesely, this range seems to include most typical British items except for an FCU without a flex outlet (they have two FCUs with a flex outlet).

One way round this might be a suitable rocker switch above the worktop with a suitable device below offering similar protection. Could be tedious if the fuse blew or RCD tripped ...

What do the regulations require?

Sponsored Links
Means of access, so in the event of a fuse failure or the unit bursting in to flames a safe isolation point.

One way round this might be a suitable rocker switch above the worktop with a suitable device below offering similar protection. Could be tedious if the fuse blew or RCD tripped ...
1) How often do your appliance fuses blow?

2) When they do is it never because the appliance is faulty and needs pulling out anyway?

3) Where you've got an FCU and a socket, what do you do when the appliance problem takes out the plug fuse rather than the FCU one?

Have you thought about using a grid system with engraved switch modules?

What do the regulations require?
What they require depends on what the switches are for, i.e. are they emergency, functional, isolators for maintenance etc.

But a switch above and an FCU or socket below will do the same as a switched FCU above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back