Kitchen & Bathroom paint vs Normal Silk Paint

P

pna

Apologies if this has already been covered, but what is the difference between kitchen/ bathroom paint and normal silk?

Put another way, could I expect 'normal' paint to peel off the wall or go mouldy in a year or two?

Sponsored Links
Firlsy, dont be fooled by the hype...kitchen and bathroom paint isnt the only paint you can use in kitchen and bathrooms.

The original k&b paint was made by Dulux I beleive....and it is no more than acrylic eggshell.

A few people make it know but its all probably based on the same thing.

It has a flatter finish than silk...but not as flat as matt....its an eggshell finish.

They reason the retail side of Dulux dont call it that is because it doesnt sound as attractive.

vinyl matt/silk/acrylic eggshell is all fine for a bathroom....just dont let it get too steamy in there.

I disagree with Zampa - Vinyl matt is not suitable for a bathroom.

Use silk, acrylic eggshell (better) or dulux diamond matt.

Sponsored Links
I have allways found Dulux Bathroom emulsion to be superior.
JonB

Minul said:
I disagree with Zampa - Vinyl matt is not suitable for a bathroom.
Use silk, acrylic eggshell (better) or dulux diamond matt.

Why not?....as long as there isnt a lot of condensation,. 90% of the bathrooms or kitchens I do have matt as silk isnt fashionable at the moment, and I have never had a come back.

Im working on a small bathroon this week.....they have silk on the walls and ceilings....and the room is covered in mould growth,...this was because the moisture from the shower 'sat' on the surface for too long and didnt have anywhere to go..causing a serious mould problem

Yes....kitchen and bathroom paint (acrylic eggshell to those in the trade) and silk may be a better option....but matt can still be used..its all down to the amount of ventilation and moisture in specific areas.

Look at the amount of black mould that forms on silicone in a shower cubicle.....silicone is completly moisture resistant....but it goes mouldy because of the lack of air circulating in a shower cubicle

I wouln't risk matt in a Sauna though :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back