Kitchen blank panel - replace with very narrow drawer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our kitchen has (or had) blank panels at one end, hiding a gap of about 11cm. In the upper row of units, I built and fitted simple shelves for our cookery books and it proved very successful - now I want to use the ground-level space too.

We already have one such space that was finished up as an alcove for baking trays, so that idea is out. I was considering a wine rack but to maximise the space (depth) I would love to have a pull-out vertical drawer type thing. Next door had such things as part of a new kitchen but they are more like 15cm and in any case, I want to blend this in with the existing kitchen.

I have a spare drawer and cupboard that was removed to fit a dishwasher so I think making the front will be fine, but I don't know what I'm looking for to mount it. I assume I can't mount a normal draw sideways and build little shelves in it, the runners/slides wouldn't work?

Are there specific parts I should be looking for by name? I don't need a super-fancy end product, or expensive, since in a couple or three years we might get a new kitchen. As long as the front looks OK and it physically works (i.e. doesn't fall out) I'm happy with a fairly rough'n'ready approach.

Sponsored Links
perhaps you could make a vertical "drawer" and just put castors or wheels on the base. Fit a stop so it doesn't pull out of the cavity completely, so it stays upright when opened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back