Kitchen Cabinet Bangs ... sound proofing ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya my kitchen units sit on the concrete floor and annoy the guys downstairs ... can anyone recommend a 1mm odour free rubber material that is suitable to slide under the feet and decouple them ?
I got some "acrylonitrile" and SBR, but they both stink so don't want them here.
Any ideas ? Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Have you considered putting a couple of soft rubber "bumpers" on your doors? Readily available and might do the job - just stick two on the vertical edge of the cabinet at the top and bottom where the door closes. Look on eBay for "soft close bumper". Cheap as chips and far less hassle than lifting your units, which will be a PITA to do.

Thanks that would be good but pots and pans on the surface would still pass straight through I think

I don't think you'll get much decoupling from 1mm of material (based in how much soundproofing goes into apartments). You might be better off laying some 3 to 6mm thick cork flooring on the shelves which are affected

Sponsored Links
Don’t see how noise is going to pass through concrete flooring is it a purpose my flat?

Victorian conversion, but has a layer of ... screed is it and the cabinets just stand on it, so I just want to shorten the legs and slide in 1mm rubber but the sheets I have stink so ...

Look at the 'soft close' options for kitchen unit cupboards and drawers, there is no fix for noisy pans, other than taking more care.

If the cabinets are the old fashioned type that rely on the carcass sitting on the floor then you’re stuffed, insulation wise.
if it has legs, look for shorter adjustable ones and use inch thick neoprene between the leg and floor.

if you are banging pans onto the shelves, possibly adding insulation sandwiched between the pan shelf and another shelf top might help.

possibly some kind of rock wool in a bag shoved under the unit so it’s in contact with the cupboard bottom will absorb some of the sound before it hits the floor.

It’s your neighbours problem let them in insulate their ceiling if they want to soundproof it

It’s your neighbours problem let them in insulate their ceiling if they want to soundproof it

A tad harsh... mind you, the OP could turn his "stereo" up to mask the noise.

Mind you, assuming that the OP isn't running a commercial kitchen, surely the scope/extent of the noise is minimal? Perhaps the neighbour is "special".

When you say the pans are the nuisance, are you stacking them inside each other and that causes the noise?
Simply slide a double sheet of kitchen roll between them as you stack them. It won't obliviate the noise completely but will certainly deaden it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back