Wiring kitchen cabinet lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'd like to wire my kitchen cabinet led strip lights in a way that allows me to to control them from a dimmer switch on the wall. My plan is to wire in another dimmer from the kitchen light/downstairs lighting circuit, then run the switched live and neutral into a MF junction box and from there take individual feeds to led drivers that will sit under each cabinet cluster. This way they all dim together and can be operated off a single dimmer. I'll use 1mm t&e cable to run from the jb to each driver, through chases ill cut out in the plaster board before the units are put up.

Id appreciate it if someone could sense check my approach and confirm that my it is acceptable or a better approach could be found? Also is it safe to wire straight to an led driver or should I terminate each cable from the jb into another jb and then connect that to the driver?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I understand, but I have found drivers that can be fed via a dimmer. Any thoughts on how I'm planning to wire the lights?

LED strips require DC. The drivers you are referring to I believe are halogen drivers which output AC and are not suitable. Show us a link to them.

Sponsored Links
LED strips require DC. The drivers you are referring to I believe are halogen drivers which output AC and are not suitable. Show us a link to them.

REYLAX LED Driver 12V Dimmable, 40W 3.33A LED Transformer 240 to 12V, Constant Voltage Thin LED Power Supply, Low Voltage Transformer for LED Strip Lights https://amzn.eu/d/7AAdJBB

thank you

OK. If it is constant voltage can’t see it can dim but perhaps they are referring to the type of LED. The company seems pretty thick, why all those capital letters and it is not a transformer either it is a switched mode device. It is not low voltage either, mains is low voltage, it is extra low voltage. As I said company pretty thick. Good luck. Your wiring seems OK.

I often disagree with @winston1 but in this case he is spot on, constant 12 volt DC can't dim lights.

My kitchen cabinet lights are fed with 24 volt constent DC, but this then goes to a controller which controls the output to low colour temperature white, high colour temperature white, red, green and blue, using a zigbee hub and Google mini or phones to set what they do.

So yes my over counter lights are dimmable, also colour changing, but not with a wall switch, I have to say hey Google dim counter lights, can't simply turn a wall switch.

Mine are Lidi, you can get others with wifi controllers, and many can be wall mounted, but the day of the waveform chopping dimmer switch is over, as will LED lamps they can't change colour temperature.

Thank you all for the input, I tested the setup today and my zigbee wall dimmer worked perfectly to dim the led strip and also worked via smartthings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back